The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Good morning!

J, that's funny about the finches (Luvy & Valentine, right?) letting you know when they want to eat...sounds like they have you well trained! The Bourkes just keep getting prettier and prettier :love  Keep those pictures coming, I've totally enjoyed seeing the little ones growing.

Dawn, always a good reminder about what to keep in the car during winter. I do have a blanket and water in there. Funny (or maybe not) I chose a red SUV last year so if I ended up in a snowbank, my odds were better for being found :D   

Blooie, I thought about you & Ken while I was slogging my way home yesterday. You guys travel so much and I know you've had your share of nasty driving weather. You're my hero!

DMC, sending kids out into a storm seems like bad judgement on someone's part. Glad it all ended well. Where do you get your chicks? Do you order them or get them at a farm store? The two places I've seen chicks for sale here (TSC and Baumgaars (sp?)) didn't have any real variety.

Sunflour, if getting more chicks this year won't work with your schedule, there's always next year. (But if I were you, I'd get them 'cause that's just the kind of person I am. And an enabler to boot!) :lol:

Teila, how much longer until your hubs has to go? Is everything starting to shape up with the moving plans? Good job on getting your FIL to be the photographer!

Have a good day everyone, I'm off to find another cup of coffee!

Good morning Debby! I get my chicks at Runnings. Last year I ordered them in, the year before I got them out of the bins at Runnings. I lucked out and got all girls. That snowstorm we had was in April and horrible.

If I had 2 coops it would be easy, but I have only one raised coop and the coop cannot be divided, and not a lot of room in the run for a division - especially if integration takes as long as my last experience.  I am still sitting on the fence on a final decision - will have to make up my mind next week :)

Good morning Sunflour! Good luck!
1f60a.png

I wasn't going to get chicks this year. At all. Not one. We are going to be traveling way too much this year, and since Katie, Jenny, Evan and Tammy will be with us for the cruise in July, Kenny would be the only one home to "chicken-sit". He doesn't like the chickens. Not one bit. Yep, this is the same Kenny who raised finches, button quail, and pheasants for Illinois Game and Fish Department. But he hates dealing with the chickens, so adding more out there for him to deal with didn't seem fair.

But then yesterday we went to Billings for our anniversary dinner and a little shopping, since Ken will be gone today. One of our stops was Shipton's Big R. They had their "chick bank" set up and ready to receive the chicks they are expecting today. <gulp> Others have said that our closest TSC will be getting chicks later this week. Uh oh. Somebody help me.........

Last edited:
I wasn't going to get chicks this year. At all. Not one. We are going to be traveling way too much this year, and since Katie, Jenny, Evan and Tammy will be with us for the cruise in July, Kenny would be the only one home to "chicken-sit". He doesn't like the chickens. Not one bit. Yep, this is the same Kenny who raised finches, button quail, and pheasants for Illinois Game and Fish Department. But he hates dealing with the chickens, so adding more out there for him to deal with didn't seem fair.

But then yesterday we went to Billings for an anniversary dinner and a little shopping, since Ken will be gone today. One of our stops was Shipton's Big R. They had their "chick bank" set up and ready to receive the chicks they are expecting today. <gulp> Others have said that our closest TSC will be getting chicks later this week. Uh oh. Somebody help me.........

Our TSC and Baumgaar's has already been selling chicks. I've seen red sex links, Cornish X's, assorted brown egg layers and assorted bantams. And ducks (oh my, so cute!). Not a huge assortment of breeds to choose from but all very tempting any way.

Follow your heart B, if you see something you really want it will all work out!

Ken came home from the post office with a birthday card for me from my sister. What???? No real message, just a lovely card and she wrote "Happy birthday week, just because I love you." I couldn't figure it out so I called her. I said, "You've been my sister for 64 years and you don't remember my birth date?" She just laughed and said, "Oh, I remember. I sent that card out on the 22nd of February because that was when you had your heart stent put in a year ago....so now I think you should have two birthdays!"

How in name of Heaven did I end up being so blessed?

Ken came home from the post office with a birthday card for me from my sister. What???? No real message, just a lovely card and she wrote "Happy birthday week, just because I love you." I couldn't figure it out so I called her. I said, "You've been my sister for 64 years and you don't remember my birth date?" She just laughed and said, "Oh, I remember. I sent that card out on the 22nd of February because that was when you had your heart stent put in a year ago....so now I think you should have two birthdays!"

How in name of Heaven did I end up being so blessed?

That's so sweet of her. You are very lucky!

Back
Top Bottom