The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Now wondering what's goin

Oh my, so sorry about the issue. That is a weird reaction. Have you had problems with swallowing in the past? IMO you should call your heart doc or primary care doc tomorrow, or call your pharmacist to see if you can crush up your important meds. Get some Ensure or just milkshakes or ice cream. You gotta keep your strength up.

Did they not give you some antibiotics for the infection?

If it's an allergic reaction, try some pediatric liquid Diphenhydramine = Benadryl.

Wish I could fly you to Macon, we have competent docs here :hugs

Me too. The first ER visit they put me on Levaquin and Diflucan (because every antibiotic leads to severe thrush for me since I had gangrene several years ago) and the Prednisone. Can't get any of them down. Not like Digoxin or anything - just Crestor, Plavix, Trimaterine, and baby aspirin, so a few days without them isn't life threatening. Potassium is not good to crush and absolutely has to be flushed down well, which I also can't do. Every single thing that goes into my mouth feels like it just sits there, at the bottom of my throat. Absolutely no GI issues or previous swallowing difficulties. Started the Prednisone on Monday night in the ER, took 40 mg Tuesday, and Wednesday am took 20. By Wednesday afternoon I was back in the ER with the swallowing.

The Benedryl is a brilliant idea...I always have some on hand because of the kids being here so much. Don't know why I didn't think of that! Shoot, I don't know why THEY didn't think of that. *** okay, I just got took some*** I tried a protein shake (who knew there were so many kinds?) and it was kinda gaggy. Triggered something. Right now I'm only concerned about 2 things....will it go away and am I getting enough nutrition? So I keep plugging away with the water and the yogurt, a little at a time. Oh, and my hot tea. I forgot to mention that. By the time I get to the bottom of the cup, it's not hot anymore, but the warmth is comforting.

I have had a pre-scheduled full cardio workup on June 7th with my regular surgeon for some time now, so trying like crazy to hold off until then, although I do have an ER followup visit on Tuesday morning. With my primary. The one who prescribed the Prednisone on Monday. After we discussed my earlier reaction to it. Who prescribed it before and listed the reaction in my chart with a drug allergy note. Not real confident there. But Ken says all I have to do is say the word and we're off to Billings. So far it's all more inconvenient and uncomfortable than dangerous. I monitor my stats at home and they are all staying good. But I'll let him know if we have to go up there.

Oh poor you Blooie! I do hope you are able to eat normally soon. What an awful reaction! Don't you love doctors who think they know exactly what you need without listening to all the facts? You are a busy lady - you don't need to be laid up!

My Tilly is doing ok in the aviary. Most of the other birds still flutter around madly whenever she takes flight or changes perches! Lucky, my Bourke daddy, is pretty calm and even tried to bop her off the perch today. Poor Tilly is trying to make friends, but no one understands her cooing. She kept jumping on my head every time I went in to see her. She doesn't like hands near her but she'll sit on my head! I hear pigeons like peanuts so maybe doves do too. Maybe she'll sit on my hand for bribery.

Tilly Ruru.jpg
Tilly.jpg

@s
The first ER visit they put me on Levaquin and Diflucan (because every antibiotic leads to severe thrush for me since I had gangrene several years ago) and the Prednisone. Can't get any of them down. Not like Digoxin or anything - just Crestor, Plavix, Trimaterine, and baby aspirin, so a few days without them isn't life threatening. Potassium is not good to crush and absolutely has to be flushed down well, which I also can't do

Do you mean you are not on Dig, just the Crestor, Plavix, Triamteren and Aspirin?
Careful with the triamterene if you aren't drinking well - it makes you lose water. For potassium - you can drink OJ or Grape Juice - the potassium can burn the throat if it sticks as can the aspirin.

It is possible this is coincidental, your symptoms suggest blockage of the esophagus - which would not be likely allergy - or did Prednisone do the same thing in the past.
'Cause Blooie is doesn't fit into the "usual category" - she's unique :)

Hope you are able to get some nutrition down and this resolves very soon.:hugs

@s

Do you mean you are not on Dig, just the Crestor, Plavix, Triamteren and Aspirin?
Careful with the triamterene if you aren't drinking well - it makes you lose water. For potassium - you can drink OJ or Grape Juice - the potassium can burn the throat if it sticks as can the aspirin.

It is possible this is coincidental, your symptoms suggest blockage of the esophagus - which would not be likely allergy - or did Prednisone do the same thing in the past.
'Cause Blooie is doesn't fit into the "usual category" - she's unique :)

Hope you are able to get some nutrition down and this resolves very soon.:hugs

Yeah, I didn't word that very well. I meant that none of my meds are a matter of critical difference if I miss a few days of them, since I don't take anything that regulates the heartbeats or things of that nature. It's just frustrating to be so far off schedule with them. With 4 stents in each leg now, for a total of 8, I worry about the PAD more than the heart, especially after my sister's ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. I know all about needing to get Triamtarine all the way down with a full glass of water,and how critical it is to stay hydrated with it, so that's on the "no" list right now. It could all be a gastro-coincidence (hey, I invented as new word!) I guess, just seems a little odd that dysphagia is a known side effect of Prednisone in older women and I never had issues until I'd taken 20mg on one day, 40 the next, and the first 20 of the day, then all this started so quickly. Last time I had Pred my reaction was major bruising under the skin and all over me. So while neither reaction could technically be called an "allergy", they are both certainly reportable and notable side effects for this old lady. OJ and grape juice are just way too acidic in that little "pouch" right now. I can feel it burning in there just typing it! :sick I did get up at 3:15 this morning, starving hungry as usual, and managed half a mashed banana and a few sips of water. I think the ribs, corn on the cob, potato salad (NOT green) and watermelon that I've been planning for tonight with the kids are out tho. :lau

Now the good news. I am getting liquids down far better this morning than I was. Before they pooled and then trickled down. Now they trickle but they DO go down without as much pooling first. Progress!!! I'll take it!!

I hope you consider me a friend, you are a very special person, and I cannot imagine BYC without the diva :hugs

@JaeG Hope things in the Aviary settle down soon. Gee this sounds like pecking order stuff.

Oh, YES YES YES to this! @drumstick diva just because we've never been face to face doesn't mean a doggone thing! You have more friends than you can shake a stick at, and I'm proud to be among them!

Morning Chatterers (a la Sour, lol)!

Blooie, sounds like you're making a bit of progress there...glad to hear it!

Sunflour/sis, thanks for the pointers on the new site stuff (now if I can just remember them). You're always so quick to help out with everything.

J, such a beautiful bird. Wow is she pretty.

DD, we're all friends here and I can't imagine not having had the pleasure in 'meeting' you and the other wonderful peeps here. Even on those crazy days when I can't logon, I think about all of you and wonder how everyone is. :hugs

Scott, it's so nice to know you're around here too! Without our Sour, we need some testosterone to balance things out :lau

Ok, enough mushy stuff...I have more golfers coming in than I can keep track of right now. It's a gorgeous day and most the storm debris has been cleaned up. Glad I got my baking done for the day (2 doz. sandwich buns and a big pan of corn bread).

Have a great day everyone!

Sorry guys, I didn't mean it they way it's being interpreted . I love my BYC friends and I do consider them FRIENDS. I meant where I live. Been here 47.5 years and never had one friend. Some of the original neighbors are still here.

The guy next door talks to me a little if we meet getting mail or when he is walking my" surrogate" dog(his) . That's it.

I prefer to be on BYC - my sanctuary. I hope to be on more, when I figure out how to navigate better. :love Hope everyone of you has a wonderful holiday weekend.

Back
Top Bottom