The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Never had a problem in FL. But it was 3 feet deep in the deep end and FL is pretty warm.
There is a really big difference. A 3 foot pond would freeze solid here. Our frost depth is 6 feet. Our well pipe is 7 feet deep to keep from freezing.

Oh gosh i had some beautiful koi in FL when we moved to TN. I grew them in my fish tank from little ones. The biggest one looked like a submarine! Any way i sold them to a lady, who paid me for them and was supposed to come pick them up. And she waited and waited. I had to leave and i told her my son was not great at looking after animals and she had better come get them. Still she never showed up.
I told my son not to turn the waterfall on for long because tree roots caused it to leak and it needed to be redone. So of course he turned it on and forgot about it. The poor fish were all in the bottom of the pond without enough water and they all died! I was heartbroken! Son had to get in there and remove the dead fish, not a nice task as it was really stinky.

That's so sad. :(

KD, everything is work. I rather enjoyed it except the fact that the trees kept dropping leaves so i had to keep scooping them out. I built a filter system and it did a good job filtering the crud out. I used to spend a lot of time sitting on or in the waterfall, depending on how hot it was. But the plants i put in the water grew like crazy so i had to keep taking out some of them. Very peaceful listening to the waterfall instead of traffic or the neighborhood kids screaming. So if you want to enjoy fish, you have to do the work.

Yeah, I know but I just didn't know how much more work it was compared to a fish tank or even what is involved. I know nothing about ponds.

But wow that sounds very nice! We're set back in the woods so it's usually pretty quiet but I like listening to my chickens and would probably love a pond

have fun!

Thanks, we did! Our whole family and both my brother's girlfriends went out to dinner for the younger one's birthday (it was yesterday) then we came back for cake and presents.

I think a pond at @KDOGG331's might be problematic. Only during the winter of course ;)

Very true!

I shut mine down in the fall. You need a big deep pond around here to leave your fish outside.

I think it's the same here but idk

Never had a problem in FL. But it was 3 feet deep in the deep end and FL is pretty warm.

Yeah, 3 feet is plenty deep in Florida but around here that might freeze.

That is what I figured. The problem then is where to put them for the winter. @KDOGG331 would need that really big aquarium inside at which point might as well have them in that so you can look at them year round.

Yeah, I'm not sure if we even have the room for a big fish tank.

Yeah, I have a 125 gallon tank for mine. I put mine out in spring and bring them back inside in fall. My goldfish in my 75 gallon go into the 125 and I shut down the smaller tank for the summer, and leave the big one going.

That seems like a nice size. I thought they didn't need a big tank though? Or is that just for now?

There is a really big difference. A 3 foot pond would freeze solid here. Our frost depth is 6 feet. Our well pipe is 7 feet deep to keep from freezing.

I don't even know what our frost line is here haha

It's been so warm lately

I do know though we have a little pond in the garden that we don't maintain at all but we used to have a few fish in it and we just left them out there during winter, which was probably irresponsible but I was young, and anyway, one of them survived through the winter and got huge. So I don't think our frost line is that deep but it's also in a plastic pond mond and surrounded by dirt and a path and stuff in the garden

Last edited:
That's so sad. :(

Yeah, I know but I just didn't know how much more work it was compared to a fish tank or even what is involved. I know nothing about ponds.

But wow that sounds very nice! We're set back in the woods so it's usually pretty quiet but I like listening to my chickens and would probably love a pond

Thanks, we did! Our whole family and both my brother's girlfriends went out to dinner for the younger one's birthday (it was yesterday) then we came back for cake and presents.

Very true!

I think it's the same here but idk

Yeah, 3 feet is plenty deep in Florida but around here that might freeze.

Yeah, I'm not sure if we even have the room for a big fish tank.

That seems like a nice size. I thought they didn't need a big tank though? Or is that just for now?

I don't even know what our frost line is here haha

It's been so warm lately

I do know though we have a little pond in the garden that we don't maintain at all but we used to have a few fish in it and we just left them out there during winter, which was probably irresponsible but I was young, and anyway, one of them survived through the winter and got huge. So I don't think our frost line is that deep but it's also in a plastic pond mond and surrounded by dirt and a path and stuff in the garden
Sorry for the confusion. I have 13 in my 125. If I only had 4 or 5 than a 55 would be big enough.

Good Afternoon Friends :hugs

I personally find pond fish much easier and less time consuming than cleaning a tank if you have the pond, pump and filter set up right. Luckily, no freezing of water or fishes here and it is in fact warm enough that we can keep tropicals without a heater.

Huge day today ….

I started with cleaning the coop then on to mowing the lawn, doing the edging and killing some weeds. It started to rain 5 mins after I finished everything I wanted to do in the garden which was great timing and also nice for the freshly mowed lawn. Followed this with the final coat of stain on the cat stopping frame in the hole in the wall:

Finished 23 December 2017.jpg

Plus the first coat of stain on the catio wall [we have ordered timber louvres for where the shade cloth currently is:

Catio 23 December 2017.jpg

Catio 23 December 2017 A.jpg

Thoroughly cleaned the bathroom; removing 10 years of dust and dirt from some areas :sick

Dusted the top of the cabinets in the lounge, also sporting an unhealthy coating of 10 years of dust.

Put the first coat of stain on the landing of the butterfly stairs and scrubbed the black mould off the paintwork while hubby put some stain on a section of the deck.

Some parts of the house are actually starting to look like someone does love it :p

OMG, my Crazy Cat looks pregnant! Could it be? The worst possible news! She was supposedly spayed and came home with a scar on her belly. But her son WAS trying to breed her! Ugh, he has a flat chest defect, which is why we had him neutered recently. Besides not wanting spraying!

Sorry for the confusion. I have 13 in my 125. If I only had 4 or 5 than a 55 would be big enough.

Thanks for clearing that up! That's good to know.

I personally find pond fish much easier and less time consuming than cleaning a tank if you have the pond, pump and filter set up right. Luckily, no freezing of water or fishes here and it is in fact warm enough that we can keep tropicals without a heater.

Huge day today ….

I started with cleaning the coop then on to mowing the lawn, doing the edging and killing some weeds. It started to rain 5 mins after I finished everything I wanted to do in the garden which was great timing and also nice for the freshly mowed lawn. Followed this with the final coat of stain on the cat stopping frame in the hole in the wall:

View attachment 1216101

Plus the first coat of stain on the catio wall [we have ordered timber louvres for where the shade cloth currently is:

View attachment 1216102

View attachment 1216105

Thoroughly cleaned the bathroom; removing 10 years of dust and dirt from some areas :sick

Dusted the top of the cabinets in the lounge, also sporting an unhealthy coating of 10 years of dust.

Put the first coat of stain on the landing of the butterfly stairs and scrubbed the black mould off the paintwork while hubby put some stain on a section of the deck.

Some parts of the house are actually starting to look like someone does love it :p

Thanks!

So you do need a filter and stuff then?

OMG, my Crazy Cat looks pregnant! Could it be? The worst possible news! She was supposedly spayed and came home with a scar on her belly. But her son WAS trying to breed her! Ugh, he has a flat chest defect, which is why we had him neutered recently. Besides not wanting spraying!

Well that vet has some explaining to do if she is! Can't they terminate the pregnancy and spay at the same time (if it turns out that someone didn't do their job right)?

Morning all :frow

Huge day today ….

View attachment 1216101

View attachment 1216102

View attachment 1216105

You've had quite a day and it's looking great!:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom