The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunflour, Nov 7, 2015.

1. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    We're framing the sides, front & back with 2"x4" welded wire. On the lower part of that we're going to put up some sort of finer mesh fencing (not sure exactly what yet) to keep the little ones from sticking their heads or wings through the 2x4. The top will have a tarp covering either end with a sun screen fabric in the middle.

They'll have their "quack shack" built inside of this large 14'x30' headquarters so we can lock them up at night and for them to lay in (eventually/hopefully). The solar auto-door will be built into the shack so they can exit that into their headquarters. That's where we'll have their food and water and pool. Then once we get things going in the morning, we can open the headquarters up for the day for them to roam the garden and fenced yard.

Those are the plans anyway. Kind of hard to picture I suppose so I'll try to take pictures as we go along.

1 person likes this.
  2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop

Actually we don't have much in the way of hill country, that's true. We have miles and miles of wide open. But to get from one of those wide open ares to the other, you have to maneuver mountains - either up and over, or all the way around. So we crossed over the top of the Big Horn Mountains to get to the interstate. It looks pretty flat in the photo I posted earlier, but we were cruising along at 4853 feet above sea level. And we were driving beside these little hills - that highest one is Laramie Peak, at 10 or 11 thousand feet. So we knew new hafta put the roads and highways on whatever flat stuff we can find! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Snow is really coming down hard and fast this morning. No winds yet, but that won't last long!
    :D

3. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Pretty countryside Blooie! Glad you got there before the snow hit.

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Just a little reminder, Valentine's Day is coming around once more...

[​IMG]

I can't imagine any spouse that wouldn't be thrilled with chickens for the occasion!

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I always ask for critters for gifts, but so far I have to get my own.

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Don't give up...it could happen!

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The older I get the more I think I wouldn't like what someone picked out for me, best to keep picking them out myself, no one else to blame that way either.

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's a good point OHLD.

1 person likes this.
  9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    You need to do sock drawer presents. When you see a little trinket or gee-gaw you'd like to have, buy it and put it in your spouse's sock drawer. When a special occasion or "gifty" day rolls around, all he/she has to do is grab a gift out of the sock drawer and wrap it up. Whatever is given is always the right kind, size, or color but the recipient doesn't know which of the stashed things is being given! Ken and I have done this for years and it's so much fun!

1 person likes this.
  10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's a fun idea @Blooie ! Do you think the chicks I want would be ok in the sock drawer for a while? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by