The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunflour, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    We are here. Blue skies and dry roads all the way, by the looks of the electronic signs over the interstate, that's about to change.

[​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    If I saw that sign, I would turn around and go home....but of course I would, I'm in GA [​IMG]

Hope you have a safe trip.

And my, that's some flat land out there. Here it's hard to find even a small flat area, unless you travel to south GA.

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Oh yes, that day will be here before we know it! Then let the duck adventures begin [​IMG]

We just came inside from working on their enclosure all afternoon. Phew, fencing is tiring (although DH really did the hard part, I'm the "hold this, get me that" support person). It's shaping up and makes it feel like ducks are really going to happen [​IMG]

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @Blooie when are you headed back home? Hope the roads are clear by then. Glad you got there ok!

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    What kind of fencing are you using - I need some ideas for making the "compost playground" here more permanent for my gals.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Did someone mention my name?

Yes, drumstick diva did used to breed and show Cockers. My champion stud, sired 20 chs. ,one of my ch.brood matrons produced 8 champions
    (all by my stud) and the other ch.brood matron had 4 chs.( 3 from my stud). I mention that because people didn't want to use a stud that wasn't a top winner. I had to get some of his kids out to shows - to change their mind.

Do I miss the dog shows -NO!! Do I miss the dogs - YES, very badly.

7. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Blooie - I guess you didn't stop to see "Rock City," first but that's okay. Glad you stayed ahead of bad weather [​IMG]

8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's funny, I mentioned the messed up cocker spaniel, I bet yours were sane and beautiful, a lot of grooming.

9. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Oldhen the first two cockers we had were NOT good dogs, temperaments were awful, even though they were never abused. I was 11 when I got the first one and after the second lemon - decided I would raise good cockers some day. My parents were not thrilled when I did just that ! Grooming was not much of a problem. The ones in full coat would get a bath and trim every week or two . Puppies got clipper trained bit by bit, starting at 10 days. By the time they really needed a trim - they didn't fuss.

10. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I did see some bizarrely demented cockers when I worked at a boarding kennel than later became a groomer, they were so popular in the 80-90's that every kook bred their dogs, not only were they horrible temper wise but health wise they were a mess with messed up skin ears and eyes, I was happy when they started to fall out of favor, but then I was left with the crazy schnauzers.

I got people in who never took a brush to their dogs in three months but they wanted me to comb them out, I don't miss grooming, I miss seeing a beautifully groomed dog though, but not the dogs or owners. What colors were you partial to?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by