The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

KD, you can just use a brand new one of those scrubber sponges or pads to clean the algae inside the tank and keep it for that purpose. I used to also use polyester filter fibre but you don't see that loose much any more. It is the same stuff used for stuffing toys or pillows.

No need to take the fish out. Just rinse the sponge or scrubber off in water before using.

Thanks for the tips. Good to know I don't have to take them out :)

Just saying hello...not much time to read or post.....Kendra is here and she's got the Wuzwels too. Eyes keep matting up and end up closed shut, nose is beyond stuffed, fever, and fussy as all get out. Trying to keep her hydrated, but she doesn't want to cooperate. At her 10:00 am cath I only got 50 ml compared to the usual 150-200. Jenny had her in on Monday, and they tested her for flu and for strep, which were negative. After this clears up, they are going to test her for allergies. This is the 3rd time since they moved into the new house so it just has to be something environmental. I know allergies don't cause a fever, but she has to go back in tomorrow and see if the virus and severe congestion is causing a secondary bacterial infection because she's running one. Meningitis is always a major concern with kids that have Spina Bifida and fevers with seizure disorders don't mix well either. All she wants to do is sit on my lap. She dozed on Grampa's lap for a little while so I thought I'd have some time to catch up here and FB, which is my morning routine. Um, not today!

Poor little girl (and poor parents/grand-parents) :hugs

For Kendra...
get well.gif

I assume I would have to put the fish somewhere else while I do?
People do that when they have fish in a bowl and change all the water (which isn't all that good for the fish). With an aquarium, they will just get out of your way.

I'm not sure what all might be in a kitchen scrub sponge. I buy the cleaning pad at the aquarium store. There is a different one depending on if you have a glass or plastic aquarium. Not real expensive. I just bought a new one last week, I think it is the first time in about 15 years. Of course the old one WAS pretty ratty but I'm cheap, er, FRUGAL!

If you already have a siphon vacuum without a bulb, just stick the whole thing in the tank until it is totally full of water. Put your finger over the end that will go in the bucket, lift it out while holding the other end in the aquarium. The water will start to drain as soon as you take your finger off. Maybe doesn't need to be said, but the receiving bucket needs to be lower than the aquarium, water flows downhill.

Last edited:
Just saying hello...not much time to read or post.....Kendra is here and she's got the Wuzwels too. Eyes keep matting up and end up closed shut, nose is beyond stuffed, fever, and fussy as all get out. Trying to keep her hydrated, but she doesn't want to cooperate. At her 10:00 am cath I only got 50 ml compared to the usual 150-200. Jenny had her in on Monday, and they tested her for flu and for strep, which were negative. After this clears up, they are going to test her for allergies. This is the 3rd time since they moved into the new house so it just has to be something environmental. I know allergies don't cause a fever, but she has to go back in tomorrow and see if the virus and severe congestion is causing a secondary bacterial infection because she's running one. Meningitis is always a major concern with kids that have Spina Bifida and fevers with seizure disorders don't mix well either. All she wants to do is sit on my lap. She dozed on Grampa's lap for a little while so I thought I'd have some time to catch up here and FB, which is my morning routine. Um, not today!
Mold maybe?

People do that when they have fish in a bowl and change all the water (which isn't all that good for the fish). With an aquarium, they will just get out of your way.

I'm not sure what all might be in a kitchen scrub sponge. I buy the cleaning pad at the aquarium store. There is a different one depending on if you have a glass or plastic aquarium. Not real expensive. I just bought a new one last week, I think it is the first time in about 15 years. Of course the old one WAS pretty ratty but I'm cheap, er, FRUGAL!

If you already have a siphon vacuum without a bulb, just stick the whole thing in the tank until it is totally full of water. Put your finger over the end that will go in the bucket, lift it out while holding the other end in the aquarium. The water will start to drain as soon as you take your finger off. Maybe doesn't need to be said, but the receiving bucket needs to be lower than the aquarium, water flows downhill.

I guess I just thought that I would have to clean with vinegar or something, which is why I thought the fish would have to be removed. Didn't realize it would come off with just a scrubber. I will need to buy one.

And for some reason I can never get it started but I will try again.

Good Afternoon Friends :hugs

Lunch time Friday – January 26th – Australia Day Public Holiday!

Because it is raining and I am stuck inside, I have a Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Pie baking in the oven as I type and will share pictures if it is worthy ;)

Cap I hope you are feeling better.

Blooie I hope Kendra is feeling better soon also.

Good Afternoon Friends :hugs

Lunch time Friday – January 26th – Australia Day Public Holiday!

Because it is raining and I am stuck inside, I have a Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Pie baking in the oven as I type and will share pictures if it is worthy ;)

Cap I hope you are feeling better.

Blooie I hope Kendra is feeling better soon also.
Recipe please!

Back
Top Bottom