The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

:thHow'd I get so far behind AGAIN!? I am still alive, I promise. Hubby came home from conference tired, sick, and having to work the very next day. He took Monday/Tuesday off but on Monday was doing some work up the back, lost his balance and fell on a piece of wire hiding under all the weeds up there. It punched straight through his boot, right into his shin so he was off to A&E (Accident and Emergency clinic) to get checked out and get a tetanus shot. He's on antibiotics too and he's limped off to work today, very sore. And he's shared his bug with DS who is not well at all. :barnie Poor kid got up, had a drink, had a bath and went back to bed. He's fallen asleep again and it's only 8.45am here.

I'm wondering if we're going to have an early spring down under. There are daffodils and flowering cherries out in bloom already and my young quail have been laying for at least two weeks (which also means some of the males are crowing). This is despite the fact they are living in a windowless shed at present so we can get rid of a few, big cages we don't want to have to take with us when we move. I do open the door for them during the day but often don't get out to them until mid morning. And I have to put a screen over the door to keep the damn sparrows and wild doves out.

Anyway, hope everyone's having a great day!

:thHow'd I get so far behind AGAIN!? I am still alive, I promise. Hubby came home from conference tired, sick, and having to work the very next day. He took Monday/Tuesday off but on Monday was doing some work up the back, lost his balance and fell on a piece of wire hiding under all the weeds up there. It punched straight through his boot, right into his shin so he was off to A&E (Accident and Emergency clinic) to get checked out and get a tetanus shot. He's on antibiotics too and he's limped off to work today, very sore. And he's shared his bug with DS who is not well at all. :barnie Poor kid got up, had a drink, had a bath and went back to bed. He's fallen asleep again and it's only 8.45am here.

I'm wondering if we're going to have an early spring down under. There are daffodils and flowering cherries out in bloom already and my young quail have been laying for at least two weeks (which also means some of the males are crowing). This is despite the fact they are living in a windowless shed at present so we can get rid of a few, big cages we don't want to have to take with us when we move. I do open the door for them during the day but often don't get out to them until mid morning. And I have to put a screen over the door to keep the damn sparrows and wild doves out.

sure hope both of them feel better shortly:hugs

:frow

Evening all :frow
Sharron, my thoughts are with your DH... Had the surgery a few years back. Hoping his recovery is as quick as mine was. Or even quicker...
Jae here's to hoping all get well soon and heal fast.:fl

thank you, gonna try this this coming winter, but not sure what beef kidney suet is, just plain ole suet, yes, my husband loves chilli

Beef and pork suet are made the same way. You collect the fat off the kidneys, cut it into small chunks and then render it the same as you would lard or tallow. Major difference is it reacts differently in recipes than its counterpart and it's shelf stable after being rendered. Air will taint lard or tallow, but suet seems to not have that problem. If you don't want to go through the trouble of making it yourself, you can order it from Townsens as many 18th century recipes call for it.

:frow JaeG

Evening all :frow
Sharron, my thoughts are with your DH... Had the surgery a few years back. Hoping his recovery is as quick as mine was. Or even quicker...
Jae here's to hoping all get well soon and heal fast.:fl

Beef and pork suet are made the same way. You collect the fat off the kidneys, cut it into small chunks and then render it the same as you would lard or tallow. Major difference is it reacts differently in recipes than its counterpart and it's shelf stable after being rendered. Air will taint lard or tallow, but suet seems to not have that problem. If you don't want to go through the trouble of making it yourself, you can order it from Townsens as many 18th century recipes call for it.
thank you, thats interesting, pork and lamb i've done but never the fat from beef kidneys, will try to find townsens, suppose if i can't, i can always leave it out but sure it wouldn't be the same:hugs

Man... my PFM ended right as they did the advertisement changes. I never even noticed ads before I had the PFM, now they're glaring at me!
And why won't it let me turn off the bloody underscore?!
I was just wondering if it was me seeing them ads??
One of my chicks that hatched on Friday is crowing. :th
Holy smokes!
And DMC Ilove the herb and cheese bread
I like it but I don’t like to smell like it.
sure hope both of them feel better shortly:hugs
x’s 2

Back
Top Bottom