The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

JaeG There has to be some way to eliminate those mice. Do you think something like aluminum (cheaper) would work so they can't climb up? Or the bucket traps where they fall into water & drown?

JaeG There has to be some way to eliminate those mice. Do you think something like aluminum (cheaper) would work so they can't climb up? Or the bucket traps where they fall into water & drown?
I showed DH those bucket traps. He said 'isn't that a bit mean?' So is my babies getting eaten! He is trying a live catch trap down the back to try and catch some of the rats down there and he's going to gas whatever he catches using vinegar and baking soda to make CO2.

He is going to look at how much it would cost to cover all of the wire with insect screening so they can't get through. The floor is wood so there's no way they can dig in unless they feel like chewing a hole in it which I will have to watch out for.

Apparently any barrier around the base has to go up 50cm (about a foot and three quarters if that makes sense) as they can jump quite high.

I always innocently thought mice ate seeds and grains, leaving the carnivorous stuff to rats.

I finally did it.....got the video of Kendra getting into the car. When I first started teaching her, every single step was praised to high heaven. Now I don't do that. We just get it done. I want her to understand that this is just one of those everyday things she is simply expected to do. Oh, and just as she stood up, the stupid footrest on her wheelchair collapsed and she dropped down. Her only reaction was "woo" and she kept right on going! Yayyy Kendra!!

0.jpg

Throughout the course of yesterday, I learned that the surrounding neighbors were not only notified about the burning that house down, they were delighted, some of them helped, and a lot of them were up and watching the show from the back! Most of the old abandoned houses here aren't like the old houses most of you are used to seeing.....these are absolute eyesores and health hazards.

This is a relatively new area as far as settlement goes - the first settlers didn't even arrive until 1900, and when they did get here all they found was a desert with no trees to speak of, and very little in the way of bringing good quality building supplies in. Many of them would take a caravan of horse drawn wagons all the way to Yellowstone to get logs, and it was a treacherous trip....steep canyons, narrow passes, and it took days. They built with their own two hands, and they were built for utility, not aesthetics. Many of them were just intended to be temporary until the family could get established in the area. These hardy folks built their homes, ran their farms, and raised their kids in places that most of us would consider far below standard for even a 1900s bungalow. So there's no moving them. I still wish the entire town would have been notified, but since our fire department is 6 miles away, dispatch is 30 miles away, and our firefighters are volunteers, the burns are done super late at night or early in the morning so that it's less likely that they would be called on for accidental fires. In the unlikely event that there would be another accidental fire at the same time, the Deaver volunteer fire department is already on standby to handle those calls.

My brother Ron and his SO, Connie, lost everything including their 8 year old son in a house fire in Monroe, SD in 2002. This was back in South Dakota. A man in Sioux Falls knew of several houses that had been moved to make way for a new medical center, and he donated one to Ron and Connie. It was moved 30 miles and set into place on their lot where the fire took place. I cant' find the exact article on that but did find one on the fire where Ron mentions the house. So I'm all for moving and refurbishing homes whenever possible. In the case of these houses here in Cowley, if you nudge them they'll collapse. Cheaper for the family to just burn them rather than try to dismantle them. But after losing sweet nephew Coty in that fire, it freaks me out when I see house fires, especially in the early hours.

http://www.keloland.com/news/article/other/benefit-for-coty-engels-family

Oh Blooie, I'm so sorry about your nephew. Just reading that made my heart stop. I can't imagine losing any of my nieces, nephews or their children. My very first niece only made it to 1 month in 1977 and that is still left such a void in the family. To lose a little guy that you've truly come to know just.....heartbreaking.

Anyone have any tips on how to quickly get knots out of an uncooperative puddy cat? Chimee has a couple of knots that the brush is not shifting. I have tried to sneak up on her with the scissors but as soon as I touch the knot, she takes off. Also, I am not comfortable approaching a cat which could make unpredictable moves with a pair of scissors. I have tried distracting the bitey end with a brush but again, she is wise to that .. she is also wise to my son distracting the bitey end while I approach the knots. Wrapping her in a towel etc is not gunna cut it because then I can't get to the knots and again, I am approaching a wriggling cat with scissors, not something I can see ending well and I do not want to stress her out.

Hoping someone has some ideas of how to quickly remove them without her knowing I am doing it until after the fact ... yeah, I know I am dreaming but it doesn't hurt to ask
wink.png

I just opted for a shave on my matted girl. Her favorite past time is rolling on rutty concrete and her hair is nearly as fine as a chinchilla. I now have a fantastic brush for her. It looks like a torture device! The metal bristles are long and fine like bent needles but she doesn't even mind it!

Good Morning Folks
frow.gif

J regarding your little Dove and “I have to wonder if it was someone that got sick of looking after it and just let it go.” .. I am thinking more like they dropped it off at your place hoping that you would not notice one more
wink.png

Sorry to hear you are still battling that head cold. Sorry about the mouse problem also.

BlooieYayyy Kendra!!” is right .. Awesome!

I have no idea what to do with myself today .. I can’t do the post pets stuff cos the pets are still here; too early to start cleaning the windows or much else for that matter .. might have to make a start on the kitchen cupboards, toss out stuff we are not taking and pack stuff I will not need between now and then.

Ooh, I could clean out the 'junk drawer'! Do you know what I mean by 'junk drawer'? Do you all have one? While the shed is the outside place you put everything 'you might need one day' the 'junk drawer' is the same thing, just inside and on a smaller scale
wink.png

Good Morning Folks
frow.gif

J regarding your little Dove and “I have to wonder if it was someone that got sick of looking after it and just let it go.” .. I am thinking more like they dropped it off at your place hoping that you would not notice one more
wink.png

Sorry to hear you are still battling that head cold. Sorry about the mouse problem also.

BlooieYayyy Kendra!!” is right .. Awesome!

I have no idea what to do with myself today .. I can’t do the post pets stuff cos the pets are still here; too early to start cleaning the windows or much else for that matter .. might have to make a start on the kitchen cupboards, toss out stuff we are not taking and pack stuff I will not need between now and then.

Ooh, I could clean out the 'junk drawer'! Do you know what I mean by 'junk drawer'? Do you all have one? While the shed is the outside place you put everything 'you might need one day' the 'junk drawer' is the same thing, just inside and on a smaller scale
wink.png

Hi Teila,

I vote for cleaning out the junk drawer - there can be great treasures to find there
yippiechickie.gif

But you have only ONE? We have many junk magnets here :)

wink.png

The Princess is the champion at 10 pounds of 'stuff' in a 5 pound bag. Yeah, we have several junk drawers.

Back
Top Bottom