The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Next weekend is supposed to be better, but I think we will do it no matter what -glad we held off since it decided to snow today and temps are not going to be above freezing today :( 🥶
today will be a lazy day of cooking and movie time most likely :)

Do you have a barn or some sort of shelter so you won't be out in the elements for the whole process?

I'll do my best to keep my weather to myself :D

oh rj, sue says recipes are your job so may i please, please have the recipe for the italian sausage soup?
This is a Tuscan recipe, so technique is kind of important. Start with a cold pot, put a couple rings of olive oil around the bottom, but don't turn on the fire just yet. I use my onion as my baseline for measurements. Finely dice the onion, then dice an equal quantity of celery and about half - 2/3rds carrot. Lightly salt the veg, stir it all up in the pot and then start your fire on medium low. You want to pouch the veg.

When the onions start to get translucent, add 3-4 cloves of minced garlic and a small container of mushrooms, let it set on top until the garlic becomes fragrant, then stir everything together. Add in 2-3 diced potatoes (hash brown sized dice), let them rest on top for a couple minutes, add a couple tsp of black pepper, 1 TBS Italian Seasoning, 2 TBS basil and then stir in.

Push the veg to the sides of the pan and add a pound of skinless/bulk Italian sausage and red pepper flake to taste (I also add a bit of smoked chipolte pepper). brown the sausage and break it up into small bites as you gradually combine with the veg. Once the sausage is completely brown, add two quarts of beef stock, stir it well and cover. Without adjusting your fire, let it come to a boil. Once you get to a boil, add a can of fire roasted tomatoes and a can of Cannellini beans (with the starchy juices), stir well, cover and let it come back to a boil. Taste, adjust your seasonings and then add kale or greens of your choice, simmer on low until the greens are tender.

I like to garnish each bowl with a three cheese mix (asiago, parm & romano) and fresh ribbons of sweet basil. This goes well with a nice artisan bread.

This is a Tuscan recipe, so technique is kind of important. Start with a cold pot, put a couple rings of olive oil around the bottom, but don't turn on the fire just yet. I use my onion as my baseline for measurements. Finely dice the onion, then dice an equal quantity of celery and about half - 2/3rds carrot. Lightly salt the veg, stir it all up in the pot and then start your fire on medium low. You want to pouch the veg.

When the onions start to get translucent, add 3-4 cloves of minced garlic and a small container of mushrooms, let it set on top until the garlic becomes fragrant, then stir everything together. Add in 2-3 diced potatoes (hash brown sized dice), let them rest on top for a couple minutes, add a couple tsp of black pepper, 1 TBS Italian Seasoning, 2 TBS basil and then stir in.

Push the veg to the sides of the pan and add a pound of skinless/bulk Italian sausage and red pepper flake to taste (I also add a bit of smoked chipolte pepper). brown the sausage and break it up into small bites as you gradually combine with the veg. Once the sausage is completely brown, add two quarts of beef stock, stir it well and cover. Without adjusting your fire, let it come to a boil. Once you get to a boil, add a can of fire roasted tomatoes and a can of Cannellini beans (with the starchy juices), stir well, cover and let it come back to a boil. Taste, adjust your seasonings and then add kale or greens of your choice, simmer on low until the greens are tender.

I like to garnish each bowl with a three cheese mix (asiago, parm & romano) and fresh ribbons of sweet basil. This goes well with a nice artisan bread.

OMG, that sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe and spelling out the technique!

OMG, that sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe and spelling out the technique!
My Grandmother's neighbor came to the states after WWII and was Sicilian, she taught me to cook Italian, but using her techniques, never gave me the flavor I was looking for. So I found myself learning different techniques from across the Med. Since this recipe originated in Tuscany I started learning their techniques, which were way different than Sicilian.

Do you have a barn or some sort of shelter so you won't be out in the elements for the whole process?

I'll do my best to keep my weather to myself :D
Yes, we have a barn for doing most of it-but we will do the scalding in the open because of mud. We have the A-frame in the barn from the first pig, so that's ready. We also got the pot set up yesterday, so I think all we need to do is figure out a hose to the pot for the water 🤔. That shouldn't take long to do.

most of my co-workers want snow because of days off-not me since we have to make them up at the end of the year :(

thank you rj
going to copy this down and make it as soon as i can, husband and i love soup of all kinds, we just had country ham and 15 bean soup yesterday, now i have a new one to try as soon as the bean soup is gone
thank you again

Back
Top Bottom