The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Hi Ron, not one fertile egg. The cob is most definitely sterile. I did some research on these birds and found out the pen is only 10 years old. She has been kicking out the unfertilized eggs for years. I also found that the male was replaced with another male that is of unknown age could be 20-40 yrs. old. Here is the atom smasher, Baby cakes is a cob, I had It DNA tested. My question is how did he have even one cygnet?

Hi Ron, not one fertile egg. The cob is most definitely sterile. I did some research on these birds and found out the pen is only 10 years old. She has been kicking out the unfertilized eggs for years. I also found that the male was replaced with another male that is of unknown age could be 20-40 yrs. old. Here is the atom smasher, Baby cakes is a cob, I had It DNA tested. My question is how did he have even one cygnet?
I had to look up those terms...cob and pen. I'm learning.
Can you get eggs elsewhere to hatch?

I had to look up those terms...cob and pen. I'm learning.
Can you get eggs elsewhere to hatch?
Hi Janie, when it comes to swan eggs that near imposable. Susie would help me with the birds in the past but now I am on my own. You have to be a swan wrangler to do this. I don't have a problem handling them but when it comes to vent sexing you need two people. Thats why I got the sex wrong on BC.

Hi Janie, when it comes to swan eggs that near imposable. Susie would help me with the birds in the past but now I am on my own. You have to be a swan wrangler to do this. I don't have a problem handling them but when it comes to vent sexing you need two people. Thats why I got the sex wrong on BC.
Can you breed BabyCakes back to his mother? Or will she even breed with another, since she is mated?

Maybe it was Parthenogenesis? It has been proven to happen with California Condors.

Can you breed BabyCakes back to his mother? Or will she even breed with another, since she is mated?
This is the question I have for Ron. I think we can as long as it is mother to son one time. But if you keep breeding siblings that is called line breeding. some breeders use it to bring out certain traits, but it can also bring out bad traits. I 'm pretty sure I can one time as long as i end it there.

This is the question I have for Ron. I think we can as long as it is mother to son one time. But if you keep breeding siblings that is called line breeding. some breeders use it to bring out certain traits, but it can also bring out bad traits. I 'm pretty sure I can one time as long as i end it there.
Breading back to mom once is fine. There are some charts to use for inbreeding. Usually you will want to bring in fresh genes every third of fourth generation though.

Ok! Ron, I looked that up and I would bet you are totally correct. I don't think she will lay another clutch. I could cool her down and regulate the light for 30 days and I know she would lay another clutch. But for now, I have them isolated apart from each other. Thanks Ron you are a genius. ā£ļø

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom