The number of chicks with which to start

scoutshaw46

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
I need to know the minimum number of chicks to start. Should they be of various ages? Should I include older chickens? What is the minimum area needed to start. Thank you.

Do not mix up chicks with older chickens. The older ones will bully or even kill the babies. Chicks need a heat source for at least 6 weeks while older ones will not.
What are you planning to do? A backyard flock, do you want to sell eggs, do you want meat birds, egg laying birds, pets? How much room do you have? What are your city ordinances?

Depends on what you are raising them for. If for eggs, I suggest at least 6 for a family of 4. But build enough housing and plan for enough space for easily twice that number. Chances are - you will become addicted and want to increase your flock in short order.
wink.png

I have to agree with everyone here. I started with about 15 and keep adding. I need to add about another 2-3 dozen hens to keep up with our need for eggs.

If you are planning for yourself, family and friends start by planning for 3 dozen hens but get only about 12. It will leave you plenty of room to expand and add new favorite breeds. Oh yeah and the occasional chicks that you can not resist at the feed store or Tractor Supply when they have chick days.

Back
Top Bottom