the odd things that chickens eat

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shaggy, Oct 13, 2009.

1. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i was bar-b-q'ing pork ribs 2 weeks ago and i wanted a sample of the goodness and tryed to tear off a piece of meat ... ended up with a chunk of fat

tossed it into the yard and the chickens got it before the dogs did .... now they are hanging out near my bar-b-q pit a lit ...... muwahahahaha

also gave them some leftover mac and cheese --- purple hull pea's -- cornbread --- homemade salsa --- and leftover peach cobbler

might see how they do with leftover cole slaw tonight

2. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i've noticed my chickens don't care for mayo type salads....
    but i had theis "coleslaw" that had no mayo, we thought it was awful... just vinegar pretty much w/ cabbage.. they LOVED it.....
    my ducks gobbled up mac and cheese before the chickens got a chance

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My DS (age 6) dropped a handful of skittles, and in a FLASH of beaks and feathers, they were GONE! But no rainbow eggs afterwards...

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

chickensducks&agoose :

My DS (age 6) dropped a handful of skittles, and in a FLASH of beaks and feathers, they were GONE! But no rainbow eggs afterwards...

[​IMG]

5. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We call our chickens "Pigs with feathers" because they will eat just about anything other than peels.[​IMG]

6. whytedragon

whytedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    I've seen mine eat paper in the yard, pretty big pieces too, gone in a flash. I've seen them slurp up spaghetti.
    They also try to go for my cigarettes, lit or not.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Odd? My Lilith has eaten broken glass, soda can pop tops, cigarette butts...if it's not meant to be eaten, Lilith will give it a try! [​IMG]

8. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I would be better off naming what they WONT eat!!!
    Mine aren't crazy about beans, cooked that is like baked beans/bean soup stuff.

9. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:they tryed to get my cigarette too .... tryed to snatch it right out of my mouth

10. foweler

foweler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Chico, CA
    I made the mistake of feeding them bits from the grill and now I can't grill without a dedicated and somewhat pushy audience.

My Mom held up a butt to my RIR and her and my sister spent 10 minutes chasing her down to get it before I killed them.
    She thinks its funny [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by