the oh so confusing light timer

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by garngang, Sep 30, 2009.

1. garngang

garngang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    North Central Arkansas
    I am hoping somebody out there can help me with this...I feel like one of those "dumb girls" right now. haha
    I am thinking about possibley trying to extend the daylight for my girls during the winter monthes bc i would love to continue getting eggs. And I have seen how a lot of you are adding timers to your lights so they get the amount of light needed.
    But I am so lost when it comes to what kind of timer to buy and how in the world to hook it all up! lol Yes I know....I feel silly having to ask bc i usually dont have issues with this sort of stuff. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you a ton!
    [​IMG]

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I just use one I think I got from Lowe's (cheap) it plugs in to the outlet then you plug your light into the timer.. The timer I have has little pins that you put in to turn on and off the lights.. They have good instructions on the box...

Chris

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah....Lowes, Home Depot, almost any hardware store... Just tell them you need a plug in timer... They have them in all price ranges. Like the other poster said, most have red and green (or another color) "pins" that you set for on and off times.... You just plug the timer into an outlet, and plug your light into the timer.
    Oh...they also have dusk till dawn timers too...come on when it gets kind of dark, goes off as it starts to get light...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

But I have a light switch. How would it work with a light switch?

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  6. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
  7. garngang

garngang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    North Central Arkansas
    I have close to the same problem. Our light isn't installed yet but we are working on it. It will hang from the ceiling with a pull string. We were trying to avoid running the wire over for a switch. What in the world could I do for this??? Or should I change my plans while there's still time????

8. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Quote:It will work with a switch. Just leave the switch in the on position and the timer will do the rest.

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] set your alarm clock for 4 am, put on slippers and run out and turn the light on! [​IMG]

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:No no, that is no problem *at all* -- just wire the timer in, and during the time of year when you want to be using it, just make sure that the pull-chain has the light switched "on". Leave the pull-chain that way all winter, the timer (once you set it [​IMG]) will turn the light on and off when you desire.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by