The Ohiki Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by awesomefowl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Okay, I don't have any. Yet. But I really love the looks of these pretty little japanese bantams! Does anybody have any?

2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Real ones are extremely rare and very hard to find.
    If you cant find any, you can make your own, they wont be the true one, but do look very similar
    Bred cochins to phoenix, just dont sell them as true ohiki

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. awesomefowl

Where are you getting yours from?

4. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    I found some in DALLAS TX. didn't get them though. [​IMG]

from Military peeps who imported them along with all types of pure jungle fowls & all types of oriental breeds.

I lost their info, but it might give you a lead to some. it was a (512)***-**** area code,

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:Just pmed you about them

6. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    Have you tried Toni Marie Astin in Winder, Ga. She is one of the authors on the book "Long Tailed Fowl" ,,
    Quote:

7. awesomefowl

Yeah, but she doesn't sell eggs.

8. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Ohiki are adorable and gorgeous! If anyone finds someone who sells eggs, I'd love to hear about it. I understand they're rare, though--maybe more people will eventually import some. I'd love a little trio!

9. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Ditto!

Seeing as I like to try new mixes, BBB if I did breed a cochin to a phoenix whats the best way? Cochin hen and phoenix roo? The other way around,or it doesn't matter?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  10. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    The truth is most reputable breeders choose not to sell eggs. Not that there is anything wrong with selling eggs. Most people just put too much work, time and money in their bird to sell eggs for a few buck. Besides the hatchability is normally so bad all you wind up with is a bunch of mad customers because the post office abused the eggs on the way. If you read feedbacks on people who sells eggs on auction sites you will see what I am talking about. Even if people are warned about the risks of shipping eggs they still blame the seller. I throw away tons of eggs people would like to have for these very reasons. I have found that I am better off to spend a little more money and just get birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by