The Ohiki Thread!

Quote:
Havent tried it myself, but I think it's best to run the phoenix males to cochin hens if I remember what was said on the subject.
Then breed back to the phoenix to improve the tail and all, but you have to be selective to keep the short leg quality of the cochin, other wise you'll just end up with funky phoenix mixes.
Takes about 3-4 years to get them looking right from what I've been told.

As for the importing of new ones. Toni-Marie did that in 2002, but I think thats a done deal now, virtually impossible to get any more from over seas due to all the disease scares in the USDA from overseas stocks. Even when you could, the quarantine and expense of the birds ran into the thousands so quickly that it was just hard to justify.

No Toni-Maire doesnt sell eggs or chicks, she's a professional long tail breeder that does this for the love of the breeds she handles, not for fame or money on occasion she will sell yearlings, but not very often they are usually all spoken for, but I assure all out there, there are no better longtail birds in the country than hers! Talked to her and e-mail her quite often and she is a wealth of knowledge and always happy to lend a hand and get you pointed in the right direction with them, very very nice lady in my opinion...

I was just looking at her website, her birds are breathtakingly beautiful. I love the long tailed breeds but have never had any.... yet
wink.png

I thought I saw on a website a bb red ohiki rooster bred to a f3 sumatra hen? Wonder if that was to clean up the feet a bit? I think it would be a super fun project but I too would rather start out with birds. It would be fun to experiment with it a bit though.

yes and yes
Very fun to work with these things. I have a lot of phoenix bantams, all her lines, to die for... There are many breeds used in longtail breeding to help this or that out, you just have to be good at genetics to make the right choices. Many use dutch in color projects on most longtails. Think T-M also has used Green Jungle fowl too (dont quote me there) but seems like I saw that on another forum. I know a lot of other breeders use those too..
They are fun birds though. My bantam phoenix got massive tails and saddles this year, stayed in blood feather for 18 moths.

Breeding a bantam phoenix to a cochin will give you a feather-legged bird and most likely it will not have the standard green legs. Even if you breed the offspring back to a bantam phoenix, you will lose the compact body shape and short legs that Ohiki have. You may end up with something remotely similar but definitely different and not like a real Ohiki.

Last edited:
yes, F1 will be,
you can breed the feather leg out eventually though.
But yes, you are right, they will never be true ohiki, that's why I said that to start with, they will be similar in "type" to them, and a cheap fake version for those who cant find or afford the real one is all. Do not confuse what I said with these being the real deal, they wont, just a reasonable "home made" version for looks

Quote:
Yeah it wouldnt be easy to do or there would be more of them but starting with that and working and selecting back and forth will get you going.

Back
Top Bottom