The Ohiki Thread!

Quote:
haha Thats what I'm planning on playing around with too but remember since rosecomb is dominant you would likely end up with mostly rose comb birds even over a few generations becuase you will probably have breed back to the Wyandotte ( or even cochin if you uses them) to keep the roundness in. But I plan on eventually raising mainly wyandotte bantams a long with phoenix, ohiki, and a few others, and I've been thinking about crossing in Wyandottes to see I can get some cool looking round, rose comb, longtails. If you looked on Toni Marie's site, I belive she has a Rose Comb Silver Ohiki roo in her pics. She has some rose combs in her phoenix lines too.

Quote:
haha Thats what I'm planning on playing around with too but remember since rosecomb is dominant you would likely end up with mostly rose comb birds even over a few generations becuase you will probably have breed back to the Wyandotte ( or even cochin if you uses them) to keep the roundness in. But I plan on eventually raising mainly wyandotte bantams a long with phoenix, ohiki, and a few others, and I've been thinking about crossing in Wyandottes to see I can get some cool looking round, rose comb, longtails. If you looked on Toni Marie's site, I belive she has a Rose Comb Silver Ohiki roo in her pics. She has some rose combs in her phoenix lines too.

If you do end up crossing them i would be interested in eggs, if you wanted to test them
wink.png

Here is some information on the Ohiki -

OHIKI (O 尾 tail, Hiki 曳 dragging)

Single Comb

White Earlobe

Red-Brown Eye Colour

Weight: cock 937g, hen 750g (young birds 600 Â 750g)

Colour: Red or White Hackled (Black Breasted Red or Red Duckwing and Black Breasted Silver or Siver Duckwing)In America there are Gingers,and self colours. Long tail has 30 angle and drags behind

The HEAD: The single comb is of medium size . The earlobes are white, sometimes with a yellowish tinge, but they often take on a greenish hue while the birds are moulting and growing new feathers. The legs are olive-willow green. Eye colour is a fiery orange.

The neck hackles are extremely full and long, nearly covering the coloured triangle on the wings. The saddle hackles varied in different specimens, from long to very long, i.e. touching the ground and dragging about 5 centimeters to dragging 15 centimeters. The length of saddles hackles is a very difficult aspect to fix genetically and this variation of length can be seen in all the Longtail Breeds. It also varies with age. The tail is minus hard sickle feathers, giving the birds a very distinctive rounded look.

A popular breed in Japan, this is the most diminuitive of the Longtail breeds native to Japan. It is not a "dwarfed" large breed as the Bantam Phoenix and Bantam Yokohama, but rather a true Dwarf (or Bantam). Colours are black breasted red (black/red) and silver (duckwing), although there are some rarer self-coloured birds in Japan. Type ranges from the typical rounded rump, short-legged, single-combed, white ear-lobed birds with 60 - 70 cm tails, to lines or strains with over 90 to 150 cm tail feathers. The latter are believed to carry more Onagadoir genes. The tail feathers are subtle and slender like the Onagadori A wonderful addition to the Long Tail breeds, new imports of Ohiki are now in England, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Holland,and now in America and should soon be showing up in national and international shows. Ohiki is a very calm breed, easy to handle and care for when treated well. They are easy to keep and steal the hearts of many at first sight.

British OHIKI Standard --
(taken from the Japanese)

Origin: Japan

Classification: Rare – Longtailed True Bantam

Egg colour: Tinted

Developed in the Kochi (Tosa) prefecture on the Japanese island of Shikoku in the mid nineteenth century – from crosses between long tailed breeds and small bantams such as Chabo. They are a short legged bantam with a rounded body, older cocks having very long tail feathers which drag along the ground. The name translates as O- tail, Hiki-dragging. Not seen in UK before the 1990s, and only in the USA since 2002.
General characteristics:

Male

Type and Carriage: The body is compact, broad, and of medium length, with abundant body plumage which gives a full rounded appearance to all parts especially the breast and back. Carriage is nearly horizontal

Wings: Relatively large and long, carried low so that the tips nearly touch the ground.

Head: Rounded, of medium size. Face smooth. Comb single, straight, of medium size and smooth texture, with four to six serrations. Beak of medium length and thickness. Wattles of medium size, smooth, round and of fine texture. Earlobes of medium size, oval or round. Eyes large.

Neck: Rather short. The flowing plumage covers the shoulders and reaches the back.

Saddle and Tail: Abundant long and narrow saddle feathers which should reach the ground, and drag along the ground in mature cocks. The main tail feathers are long, well spread and moderately high. They are covered by very long, rather narrow and supple sickles, side hangers and coverts, which flow over the mail tail and down to the ground. Plumage quality, quantity and length increases with age. The profile of the neck, back and rise and fall of the tail should form an ‘s’ shape.

Legs and feet: Thighs short, hidden by the full plumage and low wings. Shanks short to medium in length, strong, smooth, with well-developed pointed spurs in adults. Toes of medium length, straight and well spread.

Plumage: Very abundant, soft and carried close to the body.

Female

The general characteristics are similar to those of the male allowing for the natural sexual differences. Female carriage is usually even more horizontal, and the comb quite small. Females obviously do not have the very long saddle and tail feathers of the male, but their cushion and tail is of full rounded elongated oval shape.

Colour

Black/red, gold duckwing, silver duckwing, white,and Ginger,and other self colors in th USA.

Beak - pale horn colour

Legs and feet – Willow green,also slate and yellow are known but are non showable.

Comb, face and wattles – red.

Earlobes – white (yellow tinge acceptable)

Eyes – orange/red to red/brown

Weights

Male 750 – 937 g (1lb 10oz – 2lb)

Female 600 – 750 g ( 1lb 5oz - 1lb 10oz)

Scale of points

Quality and length of tail and number of feathers 25

Quality and length of neck and saddle hackles 20

Type, Size & Carriage 25

Plumage Colour 5

Head, including eye and lobe colour 10

Condition 10

Legs and feet 5

Serious defects: Narrow build, long legs, tail carriage too high or too low, lack of abundant plumage, plumage too short, much red in earlobes, comb too big or flopping over.

Above information from;
Ultimate Fowl Wikipedia

Chris

Quote:
lol.png

I have been told that a time or two.
wink.png

Lets put it this way, I bought a pen of EE's hen [for layers] at a local action and hiding in the pen of EE's was a real nice Orloff hen.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:

Or For a straight comb you could use a bantam orp! How does the Long Tail Genetics work?

Back
Top Bottom