The Old Folks Home

I remember reading that bone density is attained by the age of 20. My mother not only had us drink milk, which we liked, but we got a multivitamin every morning with breakfast. She made sure that our salads had olive oil, and vinegar on them too. Vinegar, by the way, has to do with calcium, or calcium absorbtion. When they did my first bone density scan, before chemo, I had great bone density. It's still not bad, considering, but again, the chemo meds take a heavy toll.

@CapricornFarm, I'm so sorry about your birds. Bad enough that they died, worse not knowing why.

As for the feet and surgery, no thanks. At least not until they get a lot worse. Today was a bad day with them. Pain meds and Voltaren jell latter and they are starting to ease up.

Busy day here. We got two projects done, one, the new exterior shop door is finished. I painted the drywall we replaced and we got the trim work back up. Then DH hung the new barn door closet doors. Perfect. And it only took me 11 years to decide on what to use!

Now on to the new wall for the shed and new bachelor coop for winter use and broody coop for summer.

The big shocker for me was learning that drinking milk, eating a lot of dairy products like cheese and high calcium veggies won't protect you from osteoporosis/arthritis/penia. Neither will strenuous exercise although I was always told that concussive exercises like jogging was excellent for strengthening bones. For women it's a drop in estrogen and I was told that my problems have a genetic factor. I don't tolerate estrogen replacement therapy. I was told I was estrogen sensitive and seriously, what good is it to take care of your bones and risk breast or uterine cancer, not to mention blood clots, stroke or heart attack.'

Well I am giving them meds, vitamins and protein, three times a day. They have a heat plate and all the windows are closed.
I am getting way too attached to them and starting to be able to tell them apart. Next thing I will be giving them names. I put on zip ties to be sure they are all getting their share.
Yes, bone density is very much determined by inheritance. Just as much as diet and supplements. If it were me, I would want to get at least one foot fixed to see how much it helps. Could make a big difference in the quality of life. Have you ever watched that show, "My feet are killing me."?

Not only did I drink milk as a child, I drank raw milk. Back when I was growing up, this area was homesteading, and farming community. Most people had a cow, or more, and would supply neighbors that didn't have cows, with milk. My grandfather supplied them with vegetables, and pork. Dairy farmers were allowed to get the raw milk for their families. My mother's best friend was head of a huge dairy here, and they kept us in raw milk too. Later on, when this area became more citified, all that stopped.
Raw milk is making a comeback here. It's not readily available, and supply is erratic at the best of times, but some people prefer the taste and texture.

Well I am giving them meds, vitamins and protein, three times a day. They have a heat plate and all the windows are closed.
I am getting way too attached to them and starting to be able to tell them apart. Next thing I will be giving them names. I put on zip ties to be sure they are all getting their share.
do you have any idea what it is yet? It must be really worrying. :hugs

do you have any idea what it is yet? It must be really worrying. :hugs
I am thinking respiratory. I put plastic up over the coop divider hoping to keep the chickens in the other side away from it. Treating with Tetracycline and Denaguard. Vitamins, and high protein. Adding meds to juice and syringing it in. They had stew today and scrambled eggs with their usual game bird feed.

Back
Top Bottom