The Old Folks Home

@bruceha2020, how is your dear wife doing?

Morning old folks! Busy time of the year for all of us. We are being blessed with very dry and mild weather for December here which is fine with me. Highs in the upper 40s and lows in the 20s. The birds are happy not to have snow, we are happy not to have snow. We know sooner or later mother nature will set on our heads and push our faces into the nearest snow drift but not today as the saying goes.

Me, I'm feeling better. The back pain and hip pain has finally diminished to a tolerable level so I'm trying to catch up house work and resume taking walks.

As for dishwashers, we have one but I seldom use it. It's in my utility room for one thing and I have to run the gauntlet of cattle dogs to get to it without dropping dirty or clean dishes. They are always so happy to see us when we walk into their area that it's 5 minutes of getting mugged with kisses before they settle down. That and the washer is getting old and not as efficient and I'm against spending 800$ on a new one when DH and I don't produce that many dirty dishes that I can't just wash them in the sink and let them airdry.

BTW I stopped drying dishes after a nursing instructor told us that cultures of dish towels showed that most were contaminated with bacteria including Tuberculosis. Safer to air dry and put them away which is what I do.

micro, when it was just me, and Dh sometimes it would take a couple days, or more to get a dishwasher full. I'd wash things by hand more often then. With 6 of us here now, that means a lot more dirty dishes, silverware, pots & pans, cooking utensils, etc. I don't mind washing the dishes, BUT it's surprising how much time is saved by tossing them into the dishwasher, then moving onto the next chore needing to be done. Having kids here, means there's always another chore needing to be done, so I appreciate the time saved.

Just set your dirty dishes in with the dogs, and they'll be perfectly clean in no time. LOL

We do that too, Clue. All we have to do is yell PREWASH! and eager little black noses and pink tongues appear to do their job. I always drop a teaspoon full of bleach in my dish water so no worries about doggie bugs surviving.

Our first cattle dog would lie by by the stove and eagerly await me setting down mixing bowl or measuring cups for him to 'clean up' for me. I would yell, "DINGO! Clean up, Isle !" and he would come running. Even when he lost the use of his back legs he would make his way to the kitchen at dinner time to 'help' me do cleanup. The first night that he didn't appear, I knew the end was coming for him

Now the Quintuplet Gang gets the left overs and the two 'house' dogs get the 'plate lickins'.

I sure agree with you on the difference between doing dishes for 6 and doing them for 2. That was one of my complaints about the dish washer is that it took so long to get a full load in the darn thing and by the time I did things were so dried on that I'd be either prewashing them or washing them a second time by hand.

Wasn't worth my trouble. Plus the hot water does my hands good when it comes to stiffness.

EmtheFishLady -- Whoo boy! Just wait for the real fun. The warranty expires at 50 to 55-ish and it's all maintenance and replacement parts from there.
Actually, it wasn't until 60 that things got really bothersome. But there's plenty of foretelling of things to come leading up to it.

Knees feeling okay today after yesterday's mishap. Thumb a little sore, but I'll survive. It was more humiliating than anything else. When you tumble like a toddler, it helps to be closer to the ground. Otherwise, you don't bounce as well. Luckily I have -- ahem -- personal padding and was wearing a VERY bulky bathrobe to fend off the chilly weather.

Got the Christmas shopping all done yesterday, gifts wrapped and packaged into their postal parcels. Just need to trek to the Post Office. Next up will be Christmas cards. The holidays would be great if not for the chore aspect. Just feels like another thing added to an already overloaded cafeteria tray. Trying not to be bah humbuggy. DH and I are watching a Christmas movie per night. (not my choice!) Last night was "Just Another Christmas" -- a Brazilian dubbed import that was reminiscent of "Ground Hog Day." Silly. And -- as all Christmas movies are -- poignant. Well, I have three weeks to get in the spirit...

micro, when it was just me, and Dh sometimes it would take a couple days, or more to get a dishwasher full. I'd wash things by hand more often then. With 6 of us here now, that means a lot more dirty dishes, silverware, pots & pans, cooking utensils, etc. I don't mind washing the dishes, BUT it's surprising how much time is saved by tossing them into the dishwasher, then moving onto the next chore needing to be done. Having kids here, means there's always another chore needing to be done, so I appreciate the time saved.

Just set your dirty dishes in with the dogs, and they'll be perfectly clean in no time. LOL
Even with the three of us here, we run the dishwasher every couple of days. It air drys the dishes

EmtheFishLady -- Whoo boy! Just wait for the real fun. The warranty expires at 50 to 55-ish and it's all maintenance and replacement parts from there.
Actually, it wasn't until 60 that things got really bothersome. But there's plenty of foretelling of things to come leading up to it.

Knees feeling okay today after yesterday's mishap. Thumb a little sore, but I'll survive. It was more humiliating than anything else. When you tumble like a toddler, it helps to be closer to the ground. Otherwise, you don't bounce as well. Luckily I have -- ahem -- personal padding and was wearing a VERY bulky bathrobe to fend off the chilly weather.

Got the Christmas shopping all done yesterday, gifts wrapped and packaged into their postal parcels. Just need to trek to the Post Office. Next up will be Christmas cards. The holidays would be great if not for the chore aspect. Just feels like another thing added to an already overloaded cafeteria tray. Trying not to be bah humbuggy. DH and I are watching a Christmas movie per night. (not my choice!) Last night was "Just Another Christmas" -- a Brazilian dubbed import that was reminiscent of "Ground Hog Day." Silly. And -- as all Christmas movies are -- poignant. Well, I have three weeks to get in the spirit...
It is good to hear that the fall did not cause much damage!

We were just sent an email from the Director of the Writing Program that said that the UD Davis expects Spring Quarter to be the same as Fall and Winter Quarters with no in person classes.

The expectation is that vaccines will not kick in soon enough to resume in person classes.

:thIf so, I will have been working from home for over a year!

Back
Top Bottom