The Old Folks Home

I haven't tested out my mamma heating pad yet. I've got the wire scoped out to make the cave with and a thermometer to put under it to test out the temps at different settings. Just need to find the time to get it done.

I did manage to get some work done out in the coops this afternoon. I'm having trouble with my blind rooster. He's always been very sweet natured but he's started pecking at me when I reach into the cage to change his water and food or clean him. Last night when he pecked at me he grabbed ahold of my sleeve and before I knew what was happening he came at me with is feet. I wound up with a bloody knuckle. I thought maybe he was just acting out from me moving his cage into the bachelor pen but tonight I made sure to talk to him and pet him when I reached into the cage and once again he started pecking at before I knew it he was going at my hand feet first again. He keeps ahold of my sleeve while he's doing this.

I grabbed him, dangled him for a few minutes, tried approaching him again and yep, repeat performance. Dangled him a third time, put him back in the cage, yep, bloodied my knuckle.

Anybody with any experience handling blind roosters? Is it normal for them to turn mean like this? I'd hate to be forced to put him down but unless I can figure out what is going on with him I'm going to have to before he sinks a spur into my arm.

DH and I took a storm spotter class tonight on line. Interesting stuff. We are now officially storm spotters!
I haven't had a blind rooster, but he is likely nervous about other chickens pecking him. I would put him in his own place and not move things once he gets established. If he can't see the food, he might be hungry and therefore peck at anything.

Back
Top Bottom