The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. tcmstalcup

tcmstalcup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks. I am encouraged that I can get this done in the morninh

2. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013

I don't think putting your neighbor in a big dog crate in your garage is legal.

3. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

<I><*giggling*></I>
    I so try not to notice such things on BYC because not everybody is as much of a grammar-Nazi as am I, but the quoted example
    got through my filter as well.

Hagar, please don't take offense - your post made me smile, plus it's a fun idea for one of MY neighbors (except for the crawly bugs bit).

5. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Funny funny

6. tcmstalcup

tcmstalcup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    Ok my neighbor probably NEEDS to be the one in the crate but alas, it's the real turkey

7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

All this talk about angels and cardinals... Isn't the football season over

8. LFchixranch

LFchixranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    South Central PA
    I may be mistaken / confused here but I believe the red comets are the same as the red sex link that other hatcheries sell.. I had some red sex link from McMurray and had a rooster, It looked like a Colombian with red Bleed in it. His temperament was not good.. I Had more than one come to Jesus moments with him, He ended up getting re [​IMG]

homed as his was to young for the trip to freezer camp.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's not much wind at all. I agree, roof should have held.
    I also agree about contractors. We had a huge hailstorm years ago. I called 11 roofing companies to give me a bid. Two showed up, One gave me a bid.
    In their defense, I have an unusual house for the area. It's a flat roof with parapet walls. A 30 foot ladder isn't sufficient to get a look at the roof. It already had 3 layers of gravel and tar on it, never had been stripped in over 100 years. I wanted all the gravel and tar removed and a new rubber roof installed. The one bid I received was to put another layer of gravel and tar on top.
    I imagine a lot of the other contractors drove past, took one look at the house and kept driving. They were going for the quick easy jobs since nearly every house needed a new shingle roof.

I ended up reroofing the house myself with the help of a couple friends. One of them has a roofing company and has done standing seam steel and copper, clay tile, cedar shake, TPO torch down as well as shingle. This was the first attempt at EPDM rubber for all of us. We learned a lot and it looks good. More importantly, I got 30,000 pounds of weight off of the aging rafters, two of which were already broken. I had to squirm into the crawl space with jacks and sister in new rafters. I took the opportunity to take care of a couple nagging problems. There are vents along the east and west walls which are ornate wrought iron squares mortared into the brick. They allowed wasps to infest the 'attic' space. I crawled along both walls and glued screen on the inside of the vents. The walls are so thick, it was an arms reach to get to them. I pulled a few deck boards front to back and blew in insulation - the first insulation the house ever had.
    It took 5 of us to hoist the roof saw up the sheer walls to cut the old 5" thick roofing into manageable 80 pound squares - 3 dump truck loads.
    As we were prying the tar blocks off the roof, the tops of the parapet walls snapped off and we had to re-lay most of the brick above roof line. That took a few extra days.
    I ran the rubber up and over the walls, covered the wall tops with flashing and then clay wall caps. No chance of water ever getting in.
    While I was going crazy, I put in new larger copper gutter and downspout. 1000 sq. ft. of roof dumps into a single 20' stick of gutter. The gutter dumps into a scupper type collector box. Near the bottom of the downspout, there is a copper box that sheds leaf debris and then runs the water across the side of the porch into a rain garden stream.

Good one.

I don't always write like it, but I'm a grammar/spelling Nazi as well.
    Actually the writing skills here are pretty impressive most of the time.

We call it soccer here. [​IMG]

I figure if a raccoon can get sustenance from consuming a small bird, so can I.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  10. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I've processed banties before - in fact we had Thriller Soup this week (Thriller was a Showgirl I had). He was delicious, and the perfect size for a pot of stew.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by