The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Great photos...so like getting lost and getting a panoramic view like that...wrong foot, excellent reward! Spectacular and thanks for sharing such a wonderful view of your world...I'll get lost with you anytime! VBG

I hope we all believe good will perceiver over evil. In order to have peace, there has to be someone willing to stand guard to go to war...to keep healthy, someone has to be willing to doctor, make decisions, who lives and who should be put out of their misery to stop the cause of the death in its tracks. Sometimes I'd like to go back to being oblivious...yeh, I know, not a reality but you know...running thru the tulips without a care in the world. La la la...duhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

I think now we live vicariously thru the dependents...we get to feel the joy of them being happy and well because we know what it takes to make it so they can be silly silly--happy with living.

[​IMG]

Look at these idiot boys from yesterday...some doing the dead chicken in the sun...others prancing about stirring up the leaf piles I have been raking up as the snow goes--not a care in the world because we humans created a spot that is a sanctuary for them to be silly in. I wish I could post the sounds...the coos and fluffs...absolute chicken music to ears. Thirsty ears! LOL

Gonna keep rolling over rocks. It is not urgent but it is for others I know. it is that sinking feeling, that knowing look we have when we hear the tip of the iceberg that none of us EVER wants to face. We go about having fun fun fun and because poultry is fun--out from the darkness creeps the nasty to end the fun and make it all serious again. I mean I don't sit up at night having nightmares but part of growing up and trying to care for our fun times. Best we are able is to be adult about it and face and learn about it.

Poultry teaches us alot...it is easy to have babies, but they grow up and if you have too many boys, they fight and you have to do something with them that you can live with doing. If you bring in birds from everywhere--whatever is out there, good and bad, will come home to roost too. My vet will answer me when I get weak and want to show birds again..."Do you want what everyone else has?" and that is enough to make me shut my lip and quit pouting that I can't run round the country side showing birds, visiting and allowing others to come calling here at the home place. It can suck being good but 365/4 days a year, if you keep the dependents safe and healthy; they will be there to be enjoyed which is the reward part for doing the right things.

I do have others that have my birds...yes, spread the birds around should something hit one of us...but here is a little reality check an oldtimer shared with me. Another of these Fowl Trust people...he would actually GIVE hatching eggs away at the end of the season. All people had to do was pay for the shipping and he would send them off most happy about it. A resource that he thought had value was being shared all over the country. He was running a successful cabinet shop in Ontario and he was making money so he really did not need to make a profit at the poultry. He only ever really wanted to cover the actual feed costs and ran the Fowl Trust as such. He brought in birds from Europe from other Fowl Trusts and he had quite the kewl number of breeds and kinds of poultry of very nice quality. He even had Oka White Chanteclers that he shared genetics with the Quebecers when they wanted to introduce some new blood to their nucleus of Oka Chants. If you go thru LInda Gryner's Chantecler book...most of the photos of White Chants can be linked back to his lines...even ones sent out to Holland came from him and his work at getting them out and about. Interesting birds like Orloffs and Marans...he has some fun birds to spread out for people that did not know how to import genetics or had the financial means to do something that grand a scale.

[​IMG]

Well one year, big plans...him and the wife were going to take some long, long overdue holidays--a ROAD TRIP of a lifetime! So he was a good record keeper...he started to contact all these people along the route he was planning, to swing on by and have visit...see the birds he had sent off (some for free, some paid for...whatever...the actual stocks he was spreading out far and wide to SAVE this wonderful hobby he enjoyed here in North America). Well get this...not ONE...not one single person he had sent eggs or chicks or breeding birds to had any left--not a single specimen was alive for them to stop and visit. REALLY and truly and he was no small operation. He contacted them and heard back..."Oh the predators got them," "No, we never kept them over the next winter," "The kids grew up and went to college so we ate them," or "We dumped them at the auction last spring with no idea where they went" or whatever. It absolutely blew his mind. He was living in a fantasy world thinking by sending out birds for next to nothing, supporting the hobby as one should, that the birds would live onwards. He had invested so much in high hopes to have them dashed.

Murray that has the Brahmas made it summed up quite plain and simple..."When you die, they come and kill your birds." So often these old persons of the Fancy are like these little islands of the hobby. The relatives don't keep birds or livestocks themselves and the immediate family does not see what us poultry persons see and do not appreciate that "Dad kept some chickens"...value in the old lines, value in the ongoing safety of our food supplies.

We all love them fuzz butts...they do grow up so quickly and that is a good thing...don't stay cutester forever...kinda that gangly ugh bug stages but then they grow into their legs and begin to show promise of their future adult selves. Yes, get photos and hold them dear or you will just hafta have more....bwa ha ha...ENABLER..."Who moi? Never...catch me at it, eh?" [​IMG]

Never thought I would have to become this chemist...but you do what needs doing and you bring out the heavy artillery to whomp things real good.

I often wonder if keeping us confused and in the dark (can you say mushrooms) is not just a way to keep us down and disjointed...keep us fighting to find the truth and what really works and keep us from becoming too much of a contentious threat. Basic life and living needs...shelter and FOOD...control the food and well you control the masses, eh? I mean with chicken at $13.33 in the store and our birds tasting so much better and being so good for us...never mind the reality of real eggs (shadow version dozens for consumption at $6.25). Well we could be down right dangerous to those conglomerates poking tasteless textureless gobs of tofu-eggs/birds at the general public. Give the people ways to feed themselves with a superior product and watch the power shift!

BOO YAH! We truly are a very real force to contend with. All these ladies and gents with the birds in the backyard! LOL

[​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

2. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    I have Gatorade here, electrolytes for ruminants too, powdered form.

I know that turkeys get one form of MG and chickens are suppose to get another. That the "CRD" stands for a whole host of chronic respiratory illnesses.

Laugh, yes, I too am allergic to anything ending in "cillin" and I note we are running out of drugs we can use on ourselves...agh. No mouldy cheese for me thanks! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I took this pic for the Poultry Rations article I did up for Feather Fancier - on my website now. ​

Oh my birds are on species pellet rations (chicken, turkey or waterfowl), breeder rations with 1/3 of the ration in whole grains of heavy oats & red hard wheat with yellow cracked corn in winter for added ability to generate heat in the cold. Greens in winter of alfalfa leaf and romaine lettuce (spinach too), root vegs for geese...lawn time in summer when the weather permits. Fresh good water changed daily.

So can one feed yoghurt AFTER the antibiotics to replenish the good bugs back to the guts? I mean I gave Haley (Jacob ewe that gave us triplets after I sorted out the tangled nest of legs!) strawberry flavoured and she use to run to the gate smacking her lips. "Got more BERRIES for me...I feel a bit ill?" [​IMG]

I understand the secondary infections...the animal/bird gets a hit and the other opportunistic things jump in to take advantage. You go down and more things happen. It can make diagnosis really difficult to nail one thing down when it is a group that will attack...nice...nice...NOT!

So is there ANY sure way to stop CRD? Are these advocates that we can clean the hatching eggs just dreaming? I mean there are stocks that don't have cold symptoms...that don't have stress disease reactions...how are these in existence then? I am not imagining it but really wondering how we managed to dodge this. Drugs have to be the culprit...

I know there is a school of thought that you can do the natural selection method on CRD...you take the survivors and go forward from there. I mean the fact they live and produce eggs you can hatch would mean there was natural immunity in them.

Yes, agreed, you go too snaky on any changes and you can make a situation worse. We send home food and our water (yeh, don't forget a change in water is a huge hit to a potentially stressed creature due to relocation) with the creatures that go out from here. A care package to make sure the adjustment to the new digs is going to work.

Food...do small changes over to the new batch of foods...all good things to practise in daily life never mind during disease flare ups. You have some excellent advice...thank you. I especially like that we are encourage to watch the birds and observe for illness and to jump on it at first sight. The ones that would get ill would tend to be off by themselves and could easily be overlooked because they are trying to hide out and not be noticed to be picked upon by the well ones.

The creature husbandry eyes are great things to have. [​IMG]

Tara

3. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Heel low:

Hope all the Old Folks are safe and well. Ugly weather down there I hear. Why does it have to be SO extreme...just horrible!

[​IMG]

Starting to see some of the fall out here after a huge winter snow fall accumulation like we have never experienced here before...so casualties, but no real worries.

Orchard we started here in 1998.

[​IMG]

Bark has been removed...pretty much killed off two saplings. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I expect this is mouse damage from them living UNDER the snow pack all winter. Kinda sad to see this damage but don't figure there is anything valid to be done as preventatives...just have less snow pack over winter--got a blow torch to lend me? [​IMG] I never mulch the trees, never put straw around the bushes...just gives the rodents more encouragement to set up house and home. Guess we can count on lots of snow to give them the right conditions to go ape too I suppose...oh well...

What we figure is the female (new) hare...Fixs and I found her enjoying herself near the veg garden yesterday.

[​IMG]

Now that is a beast that could desecrate a garden...bwa ha ha! Veggie smorg gluttons! [​IMG]

I still cannot get over how well their changing coat colours blend in with the seasons. Like a cuttlefish...maybe should call this one CF for short. Krusty and CF?

[​IMG]

We had Robins nest two years in a row in the Wishing Well Rick made me--dang wishing well is like 30 years old now. We got her out in the orchard...Rick gives her a few coats of stain every once in a while. Cedar shingles are bleached out...few missing.

[​IMG]

I looked, no nest building yet (little early...May, end of May usually sees eggs in the nest, hatchlings for June) but I did hear the excited TURP of a Robin out and about in the general area. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Both of the Robin Parents by the Greenhouse in the Orchard

So maybe...have to remember to keep checking...the first year I got a photo a day of the Robin's egg Boos...

[​IMG]
    May 24

[​IMG]
    June 5

[​IMG]
    June 12

[​IMG]
    June 15

From eggs to fledging and then some of them as young ones here at the ranch...was very fun to do. We think chicks & ducklings grow up too quickly...HA!

[​IMG]

September 20 - Young Robins eating Rowanberries (mt. ash) by the Fish Pond

These are two of the medications I have had here on hand, not used them yet, but you never know.

[​IMG]

VetRX is an old formula (1874) and this other one is from Winnipeg here in Canada...

Seems to be like tonics as cure-alls...historically, those were quite common...the "cures what ails you!"

I have a few antiquey poultry remedies on the man porch shelves...makes me laugh when I look at them. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got just a few conversation pieces in the Man Porch...Bring out yer Junk...we are sure to want it!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pratt's Lice Killer (huge price of thirty CENTS!) and a kinda kewl product...Reliance water glass-used to preserve eggs. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The graphics on this are hilarious...Horse and pig being shot with an arrow..."A SUR-SHOT!" LMBO​

This one is a fav of mine...a treasure I found in an abandoned home, only the concrete basement was still there.

[​IMG]

IT'S O' SO GOOD---yes, a Chicken in a Can...I am told you can still buy these... [​IMG]

I got to go with Rick on one of the trips he made to collect up a 1936 Chev Maple Leaf...this one was indeed a parts truck. Usually I stay home and man the fort...chores and critter responsibilities...my son had time to come babysit and I got to go. I was so happy...not just a day trip but an over night excursion...foot loose and fancy free...l00k out World! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I knew I was old because we ended up sleeping in the cab of the truck and I limped for three months after...gimped my knee...oh my...can't rough it no mores. Time to float me out on the iceberg! Old & useless...
    [​IMG]

Rick had fun...he laughed and laughed at me...we maybe grabbed about 2-3 hours sleep in the truck cab, travelled the whole day before to get there...no bathroom facilities to do any clean up...dirty, dusty, hair all over (Broom Hilda!). There was me, in a comfy plaid jacket with various stains from the food consumed during the trek, coming outta the scrub brush around an old homestead with a bouquet of Lilacs and this silly chicken in a can (empty of course) held in my hand like an Olympic torch ("Lookit what I FOUND!") with the biggest grin ever. I was SO proud of this PRIZE I had stumbled upon! Yup, on a vintage truck retrieval mission and I can STILL find something chickeny about it all. Now that is too perfect!
    [​IMG]
    Rick did OK too...as you can see from the photo above...the unit has NO DOORS...well we snooped around and Rick found them. Walking around he heard a hollow sound under foot in the field...and sure enough, under a mat of old grasses was one door...a little further over...the OTHER one. I was so thrilled. Outside door handles are hard to come by and even if the nickel plate is worn it can still be re-nickled.

Was a great trip...chicken in a can as a memento...truck in the yard for parts and a gimpy knee for 3 months to remind me I ain't no spring chicken...that's fer sure! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

[​IMG]

The conversation was about bees a while back...here's a little something on our man porch...

[​IMG]
    Smokin'! [​IMG]

So off I go...I am going to add another piece on my page on MY COOP...if'n any of you's haven't had a gander...go have a look see. Link to a person's coop is under people's BYC number of posts on the left side margin, under our avatar's.

I got about a week of edit posts on there already and doing a big one for today...on quarantine in the Hay/Straw Barn and the Heel Low/Doggone Dog Palace...

I've approached MY COOP as a sorta virtual tour without the sounds & smells...bwa ha ha...spring time...oh the FRESH AIR we dare to breathe in deeply! Bwa ha ha...UGH! Can't say we should not greet the rains with joy...deluges to wash it clean please... [​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    It is spring here, too. Finally! My bees are starting to bring in pollen. I finally got a chance to get in the hive to clean out the dead bees (wow there were a lot), reverse the hive bodies, remove the winter emergency candy board and put a super on top. I did nothing else because it's only 45 degrees out there, but today is going to be the last "nice" day this week.

While I was reassembling the hive I noticed a worker bee covered in pollen (with full pollen baskets) land on my leg next to a hive bee that had been on my leg since opening the hive. They were cute so I had to snap a quick picture.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Canuk, love the baby Robin photos! We have a nest in two different apple trees again this year. Once in a while, there will be one that is close to flying, but can't quite get back up to a tree branch, and I am helping it to a branch. Mom still takes care of it.

6. tnspursfan09

tnspursfan09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    Limestone, TN
    We have a pair of birds nesting in a hollow of one of our apple trees. I have no idea what kind they are but they are black or dark brown with orange beaks and make a sound like water dripping in a bucket.

7. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Now that sounds interesting. Wish you could get that sound for us. I love the outdoor birds..well, most of them. Starlings are not one of my favs..or sparrows. The sparrows are always around, we are just used to them. The starlings come in the summer. They are actually good in the spring to clean up old fruit that didn't get picked up. They make ugly sounds though. And they usually flock together in big groups..so..loud ugly sounds. lol...

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Yes I hate starlings too. They nest just about anywhere around us. I have had nests in my BBQ, my vents in my truck, and the cover on our propane tank. Right now I know I have baby starlings in the propane cover and in the netting in my barn. I hate them.

9. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

[​IMG]

I think of VetRx kind of like Vick's Vaporub for chickens. It works about the same way and for the same things, keeping in mind this is NOT a petroleum product. It's great for minor respiratory issues, treating scaly leg mites and is supposed to do well for eye worm tho I have yet to have that problem. I have even had it recommended by a poultry professional to relieve my hens respiratory symptoms until I could get the proper antibiotic. I have used it and it's great. The girls were sounding better within 24 hours. I have also used it as a feather picking deterrent because of the similar smell to Vick's without the grease.
    Don't know much about Germe-zone other than it's use as a topical antiseptic for minor wounds and scrapes. It's primarily potassium (in several forms) and aluminum sulfate. Supposed to be good in the water as well. Some folks in Michigan used to use it (get it from Canada) but that's all I remember.

10. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Something interesting I remembered about Starlings and sparrows. The sparrows will nest near the starlings...for safety! Pretty smart. Little bird stays near big bird for protection. I read it a few years back. I remember those starlings nesting in our big big tree in Mapleton. Along with..sparrows in the smaller crevices.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by