The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. getaclue

getaclue Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    I posted this on the Australorps thread, but it's so good I have to share it with you too.

Now I've heard it all! DH, who is experienced with dogs and cats, has repeatedly informed me how I'm mean, and cruel to my 3 week old chicks. They sleep with their necks stretched out, and propped up on the feeder rim. According to him, that's mean. Yeah, I'll get right on it, building them little beds, and pillows to rest their heads on (sarcasm).

2. pickitfarm

pickitfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    South Carolina
    If that bothers him, how does he like it when chicks fall asleep propped up by their beaks...I find that hysterical.

3. getaclue

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Two nights ago, I came in from the coop tending to big chickens, and was greeted by DH. All 6'4" of him was glowing, he was so proud of himself. He explained he had touched one of the 3 week old chicks. (Big whoop, right?) I said, "Okay". He proceeded to explain that he had reached in, touched one of the chicks, and they all got somewhat agitated, so he took his hand out of the brooder real quick, because he didn't want them to bite him.

I laughed til I cried!

4. getaclue

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    I've been waiting for him to ask me how they can breathe when they do that, but he hasn't. Like chickisoup so eloquently put it: "they plop down, and look like little blobs of roadkill".

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Found a lone, "surprise" chick in the yard near the coop this morning. Probably a couple of days old. Well, hellooo, chick, who's your mama? Grace - the banty hen who had gotten off the Easter HAL eggs I gave her, was nearby, but not acting protective at all. Carl, my dominate roo, was keeping curious ducks and geese away from it, though. (He is THE best rooster!) I scooped up the little gal/guy, took it into the coop and placed it in the bucket nest with Buffy, (who is currently broody but I keep taking eggs from her). She pecked it, so I put it in with Angel, who has hatched and is raising two Easter HAL chicks. She accepted it. "Grafting" chicks to broody hens is an interesting process. This Easter is the first time I've tried it.

6. getaclue

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Latest harvest from our garden.

[​IMG]

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
  7. pickitfarm

pickitfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    South Carolina
    I love Zucchini. I am going to put in a couple of plants in. We will be putting over 100 in at the farm in SC.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
  8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Threechickfarm nice set up. [​IMG] One thing I would recommend if predators can get into your back yard put some hardware cloth at the bottom of your pen over the chicken wire. Chicken wire pretty much only stops chickens, everything else can work it's way through it. Just a suggestion.

9. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    I keep forgetting bingo is on sunday

10. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    But it pours ...

I love this :)

Wow - that is one excellent rooster, and glad Angel accepted the chick - broodies are such a gift, aren't they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by