The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    no garden this year. I need to finish our fence. I have tons of deer and they eat everything lol.
    for us we seem to get snow like this most Aprils about once. They had a lot of snow up the hill. about 2 feet

2. Latestarter

Latestarter Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    Aren't you (Placerville) located just below the Sierra Nevada mountains? I thought they (the mountains) got huge amounts of snow most winters? I have no idea how low in elevation the snow routinely falls, but from the looks of those fir trees in your picture, you're not at that low an elevation... Looks like a nice place to live [​IMG]

3. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    yes I am at 3400 feet we get snow usually numerous times a year but it melts quick . At 5200 feet Blue Canyon is the lower 48's snowiest city I believe the summits over 8000 can get 40 feet of snow. Its amazing how much it changes as you go up. Sacramento gets no snow. Placerville 40 miles east only about 6" ( 2000 feet) Im 10 miles east and we probably get 30 on a average year. go up 1600 feet and they get over 150

4. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013

I also loved "The Yearling" and "Where the Red Fern Grows".

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It just doesn't rain.

Finally, winter is over here - a month and a half late but the garden is taking shape. Yesterday, my apprentice weeded the brassicas, rebuilt the strawberry bed, put more compost and straw on the potatoes and helped start a new perimeter fence. (I helped too)
    He was supposed to come over twice a week but he totaled his car and yesterday was only his third day here. I can get his help from this point forward if I pick him up and drop him off at the airport (end terminus of the light rail).

I had this conversation with a friend this morning. She can't keep a garden for squirrels. I have deer in the yard every night. I walk out in the morning and can see 10 squirrels from any one spot yet I get no damage from either. I guess I'm just blessed. Perhaps they have plenty of natural food.
    X2
    Especially in summer - though I do like snow (when not caring for chickens).

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    We are in the third year of a drought. The snow pack is something like 20% of normal for this time of year. Oakland is going to tap into Sacramento River water for the first time ever starting this week.

Watch food prices go up this summer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  7. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Heel low:

Usually my topics are a bit on the bright and flaky sides--more joy than seriousness...the fun stuff. [​IMG]

Today, I am a bit more serious and in the negative wanting to address some real questions others may have strong opinions about...it is time for me to ask a question here for discussions...I trust my fellow oldtimers to have a good gist on this take...on drugs man...DRUGS...

I try to shy away from all the chemicals out there...seems we needlessly expose ourselves & our dependents to enough things to tax our systems without knowingly exposing living creatures to yet more things that compromise our health and wellbeings. I will however use drugs under the direction of my vet...I use REAL prescribed drugs to deworm, I use bleach in water to sanitize equipment at season's end but I have also come to embrace ancient practises like the use of raw honey to prevent further skin and wound infections and Vit E oil for rapid skin healing...things like that.

We practise a lot of biosecure protocols here which have thankfully kept us Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD) free thus far. No persons with poultry visit our property and I can usually count the number of people "visitors" here on the fingers of one hand each year.

This said, I refuse not to let Rick feed wildbirds and well we have those two wild bun buns ripping about too...so we do have vectors of potential contamination roaring about thus far only bringing us joys. One day, some day, we may get a case of Chronic Respiratory Disease...so far, we do not have this and I am most glad. It does not however mean we will NEVER get CRD...sigh. So I keep poking at it to learn more and build up my arsenal jest in case I ever have to bring out the BIG GUNS to eliminate such a threat if it shows up here. Oh blah!

Everyone has their own tolerance levels as to what they are willing to do or not do...which can often change in an instant of course if we get hit in a bad way! Eeeep! [​IMG]

LIVEstock = DEADstock...no avoiding that final outcome in the equation.​

Anyhoo...a poultry friend of mine that runs a Fowl Trust mailed me a copy of this article and thankfully there is a link on the Net to read it.

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/articles/treating-eggs-in-three-steps/

It is my understanding that Tylan is a "mean" drug...as in once you treat a bird with it...that is that...you can never eat the eggs or meat of that bird without exposing yourself to the drug. It comes in powder form (tablet and injection too) and the powder is difficult to suspend in solution.

I have NEVER used antibiotics in my poultry--total antibiotic poultry NEWBIE! I DO have some antibiotics here (not sure what I have but know it is not Tylan) in short and long lasting forms should that late Sunday night issue come up and my vet advises me I need to put some bird on antibiotic regiments. Usually my "drugs" expire never having been opened...but I live way out in the Boonies, so need to have some of this stuff on hand should my vet tell me to use it.

I have used antibiotic injections on the sheeps on the advice of my vet...a Jacob ewe that tore a horn on the fence and started to get a swelly, giggly jaw...an injection for a Jacob ram that jammed a stick up his nose (yes, nobody would believe me that my pastures are not completely 100% stick free and the Dufus would push a stick up his snoot and get infected...agh...why to me eh? Me who has this thing about snotty snoots...ugh!), split eye surgery on a ram lamb where his eye began to get hazy (eek!), and the dogs have received various "antibiotic" regiments from my vets over the course of many decades post surgeries like altering and dental work, for rescue dog Stoggars when she got a post whelping infection at the shelter. I'll chew on the other side of my mouth but the dogs will get the full meal deal on those scissor jaws with dental surgeries (have dogs that can't bite? Surely you jest!--Go get 'em Fix--as I slurp my foody milkshake thru a straw!). Financial priorities are well ingrained in us, yeh know! [​IMG]

I have this thing about why would I expose myself and my family to drugs in the food we produce ourselves. It costs WAY more to produce our own products and to me, the benefit was that we had virtually drug free happy foods to consume for the added efforts we extend. Otherwise, if the target was cheap food, off to the grocery stores we would go.
    [​IMG]

Brand name "Tylan" - tylosin is a macrolide antibiotic related to erythromycin, clarithromycin, and azithromycin.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6585037_effects-tylan.html#ixzz305TTH2pO
    The Effects of Tylan
    By Richard Toole:

So what do the old hands here have to say about either drug...Tylan or Denagard? To me, drugs are drugs are drugs...and Denagard is for pigs and not used in humans (tho we eat pork, right?). I totally GET that drugs are often NOT tested in poultry so vets will prescribe "off label" treatments because our arsenal for bird drugs is very limited if you only followed the ones that are TESTED on POULTRY. [​IMG]

Many of us here raise the rare and endangered breeds and varieties, so we need a good action plan on what to do should uglies come calling and we cannot "just" breed for natural resistance without risking complete annihilation of the stocks. Sometimes the survivors that live onwards are more a menace to cause tons of misery than opting out for using drugs, if drugs are the answer.

I have birds because I love them, because they are good friends that come with certain expected benefits (meat and eggs...you can EAT your mistakes...try that breeding dogs, eh?).

I always like to plan my disasters so anytime something comes up about CRD and how to deal with it, it tweaks my interest. The best laid plans of mice and men...seems for every new antibiotic, there is a whole band of NEW resistant bugs ready to step up and trash those plans. For now, my defenses seem to be holding but to get complacent on that is ludicrous. Part of our dedication to poultry is the resolve to be ADULTS about this and face the evil...know the evil and deal with the evil if we hafta. No shirking our duties to keep on guard and protect our precious silly bird birds from ultimate evil and needless pain, suffering and deaths.

We have joy & happiness in the Fancy because we are mature & experienced enough to know someone educated must walk the perimeters quiet whilst carrying a very large lethal club with a willingness to use it should the need be shown. [​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

- Edit to add photo of eggs from CRD survivors and more info from friend

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  8. Latestarter

Latestarter Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    Thanks for the welcome Ron.. Glad to be here! Have learned a LOT throughout the site! I live on the front range of Colorado and though the past couple of years have been "average" as far as water is concerned (much more on the western slope than out here on the front range), we are still recovering from a historical 5 or so year drought. So I feel your pain [​IMG] Just another part of the reason I'm getting chickens and planning a garden. Not just back to nature or "green" or "prepper," but overall self sufficiency. Oh, and better quality of food too [​IMG]

9. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    I feel for all those suffering stupid wild weather! Last year the West Coast burned up and we got drowned here...after May...every 2 to 3 days, we got rain...that's not our normal weather and I would sure like to SHARE & even it out. Rain every week is enough... Sharzies...it is the outright extremes that are down right dumb!

As far as food prices going up...I can state meat is going to go up insanely...already has.

Usually, the mush meat counter has a grab bag of three average sized ready to cook chickens for the price of round about $27 on sale, $30 regular price...ten bock a bucks a bird. [​IMG]

Yikes...shucky darn and slop the chickens...week and a half ago, I did my casual look at the chicken and egg prices (still $6.25 a dozen for fancy smancy swill eggs) and near crapped one on the floor. Boooooooooooock?????????????

FORTY DOLLARS for a bag of three chooks!​

Really...in the span of a week or so, a jump of 1/3 increase or $3.33 per bird...so a raw chicken is now $13.33! Holy Toledo! The average person is gonna need to take out a bank loan to buy the weekly groceries. [​IMG]

I heard the news about pork prices going insane (almost wanna give it a try raising piggies...hear once you got good facilities in place, they are lots of fun and taste awesome homegrown) due in part to many here killing off breeder pigs last fall and some new disease going rampant round about. Scary stuff.

I did not even stop to check out beef prices...I guess I will have to pay attention and swallow hard and have a look next time.

Here yee, here yee...you backyarder birders...keep smiling...the reasons for why we do all we do just increased substantially! Proud and loud...what we continue to do SO MATTERS! [​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

10. Dragonfly216

Dragonfly216 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama

Ohmigoodness, I actually guffawed out loud at that one! I'm glad I had not just taken a sip of my coffee :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by