The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Of course you can. I also like this one (another one of those why do my children look so odd hatches)
    [​IMG]

As others can attest to, yes, they will pee/poop in their shelter. I lock mine in their barn at night, and I clean it out once a week as the goal but it can go a few weeks without being really bad with 2 goats in an 8x8. Since you don't have bad winters you could get away with something like this and then just sweep it out daily:
    [​IMG]

I've actually found that my goats don't mind rain (nor do the chickens, and the ducks love it, obviously). The goats will allow themselves to get damp but not soaked (I have chickens that will get soaked). The goats don't really mind the snow, either.

Wisher, if you're looking for "quick and effective" goat fencing we made our own out of 2x4s and fencing with some latches. It is theoretically moveable and knock on wood I have not had a goat escape (and ask people with goats - they are masters of the goat escape) except once when Pip was a baby and she squeezed between panels. Goats love to bend and push at their fencing, and this stuff (because it's stapled to the top 2x4 and the bottom 2x4 along with the sides) doesn't bend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    PS (for Oz)

We almost died of heatstroke here today

[​IMG]

... it was 60 for a high. It was probably 55 when this turkey jumped in the water after I refilled it. Doesn't she look miserable in the heat?

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Rick spits, does he? Gotta watch out for that.[​IMG]

4. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Bwa ha ha ... Xtra good one...[​IMG]

It's OK if Rick spits, his aim is still good.

We Rednecks got a spittoon on the man porch...too bad it's my job to empty it...ugh. [​IMG]

Tara

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Canuck Bock: What a grand blast from the past. I remember my sister letting me read her library book "Big Red," by Jim Kjelgaard. That started 'it' ! Big Red got injured by Old Majesty and couldn't be shown anymore. Can't forget Sean and Mike, and the hunting competition between the English and the Irish setter . What stories. From there I discovered Lad a Dog from Alpert Payson Terhune and all his Collies. No wonder I was a dog lover(still am)

Okay and then the Black Stallion series by Walter Farley .My niece picked up on those books and turned into a horse lover.

Reading was/is the greatest thing in the world. Holding books and turning pages - that's the way to read. No Kindle or whatever for me. Your stories remind me of all that. No wonder I love them.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. pickitfarm

pickitfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    South Carolina
    I thought of your Sparkles yesterday when DH told me about how one of our Welsummers took advantage of door he kept open. He found her on the couch just standing there as though it was normal. This hen is really funny - whenever she hears him she comes running up and just stops and looks up at him waiting for a treat.

7. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    I have been told that Momma hens have fits if their duck babes go swimming...freaks their poor beaks. She KNOWS instinctively not to drown the kids in the tub...funny pics for sure...but she is a nice looking hen...love that eye candy colour pattern. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Heidi & Dixie, daughter and mother

Nope, the goats here HATE rain...they scream like it burns...I kid you not...maa ha ha...kid...pun intended! Now if I lived back on the Coast, sure they would have to get use to drip drops but here, they hide out when it rains and complain all about it.

Now that's a photo that sums it all up...HOT...good one! Turkeys...people think turkeys are dumb and we know better than that if its a heritage one! Curious to a fault and they got lots going on in those raptor brains...more than we want to know about. She's making do the best a lady can considering the circumstances...foot bath...cool foot bath. Priceless. [​IMG]

I have a trio of hens that if I let them out, they will run across from their turkey run when it has been hot for a few days...they know where the best dust bath spots are...fluff fluff fluff and then one starts to overheat...pants...then the whole group runs back to the shade. Silly silly silly.

Glad to tickle your memories! LOL

I seem to remember reading Big Red & the Black Stallion with the same kind of gusto. It is always the best to have read the book BEFORE seeing the movie, at least I find it adds more understanding to the film.

Books give you the ability to use your imagination...the more creative you are, the more book learning is inspiring, entertaining, and FUN! [​IMG]

Yes...back when I was taking college and university courses...the rage was all about textbooks being replaced by "online" courses and such. Hated that...did most of my studying holding great BIG heavy textbooks (expensive books!)...hand falls asleep, the textbook hits the floor and wakes you up...ah yes...that is how to learn...needs to be PAINFUL to keep you sharp...ha ha ha. Like the Prof that use to wing chalk at the back room talkers...kept you lively and on yer toes...he was not the greatest at hitting his mark so we all had to "DUCK!"

Tara

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Spot on with everything you say about meat.
    I'm the only one that kills around here too (except when I invite our chicken meetup for a processing class).
    When I was about 10, my dad gave me the job of castrating ALL the hogs. He couldn't stand to do it. He would hold the piglet with his eyes tightly shut and his head turned. Whenever he accidentally looked, he would start to gag. I ended up doing the bull calves too.

Now textbook rental is popular. One has the options of buying a new book, a used book, renting or getting a digital version. Shockingly, the digital version is sometimes the most expensive option and always way more expensive than rental and the rental company pays for shipping both ways. How can that be?

9. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    we had a little dusting of snow last night. mostly melted now but it happened. Yes it snows in California
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I'm glad to see someone else getting the white stuff this late into spring. Is this normal for you? Is your garden planted yet?

I've got so much I want to get done - I'm on vacation until the 12th of May! I've got to first take the cat to the vet, because it appears she has another urinary tract infection. Seems like it's always something around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by