The Old Folks Home

my first eggs. On my bday.

Happy birthday! What a great present!

We are probably going to put in a false bottom on the brooder and add more hardware cloth. Plus get a night time game cam. I just cannot believe that this happened so close to my dogs and they heard nothing! I may even move the brooder into the back section of my rooster run that has never been used .
What I don't understand is why my birds in the coop and large runs have not these problems. We used 2x4 welded wire on our runs and our coops do not get locked up at night and most of our birds don't sleep in the coop!
Except for the dead of winter (like this past horrendous one) The chicks go right out into the coop when they come out of the hatcher. It is basically a storage shed on a concrete slab. Nothing (except bears) can get in there.

Outside of the building same day as previous picture

Mrs Oz and the kids are off to jump into the ocean with whale sharks this morning

They drove over the mountains yesterday to the city of Dumaguete and spent the night in a hotel. It had a bath in the suite that the kids spent most of their time in lol. A private pool in their minds.

Antonia ready to jump off the boat

Our island of Negros in the back ground

They will cross to Cebu and then use local boats from there - a 45 min ferry ride

Yesterday in Dumaguete

back at the farm, Dominic sent the current hatch - 18 hrs since transfer to the display case hatcher
You're living life in a large way. Good for you.

I am really glad Sparkle is raising "her" four chicks not to be afraid of me. ......
love.gif
All of my chickens are afraid of me until they're about a year old.

the kids had a blast swimming with whale sharks.

the boat operators were in awe of these two kids diving off the bow of the banca into the water infront of the sharks with their life jackets and goggles.

they had never had kids under 6 participate before.

Enzo, who is 30 months had a big cry when it was time to leave them.

Awesome.
We sailed the BVI and USVI when my son was 4 1/2 and my daughter turned 6 on the trip. We snorkeled every day. The natives at Maho Bay (who's kids wouldn't get in water above their knees) couldn't believe it when I told them that all four of us swam from St. John to a small nearby island. It was about 200 meters away in water up to 30 meters deep.

Last edited:
Thanks CC. I don't have any extra sheds that are not full to use like that. We are building our new pens and I will have 6 grow out pens for chicks of different ages or breeds. I appreciate your pics and help. Later on I may have to do something different. Last year I did put 30 some chicks in a 5' brooder in DH's tool shed, and he told me NEVER again. lol

LL

chickencanoe- I am soooooooooooooo jealous of your setup!!!
droolin.gif

I have chicks in a brooder in my front bedroom
th.gif
they will be going into a brooder cage inside my coop that has it's own pophole and run as soon as they feather out, or it warms up, whichever comes first. could get snow during the night by mid week.
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom