The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. pickitfarm

pickitfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    South Carolina
    How terrible Chickendoodles....[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. pickitfarm

Apr 6, 2013
    South Carolina
    We won an auction on Sunday for 10+ Partridge Barthuhner chicks. We received 13 but unfortunately one died during shipment. Shipped on Tuesday and received them this morning. They are around 2 weeks old it looks like. This is the only picture DH provided. As I said before he is not oneto take good pictures.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  3. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

[​IMG]

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Mrs Oz and the kids are off to jump into the ocean with whale sharks this morning

They drove over the mountains yesterday to the city of Dumaguete and spent the night in a hotel. It had a bath in the suite that the kids spent most of their time in lol. A private pool in their minds.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Antonia ready to jump off the boat

[​IMG]

Our island of Negros in the back ground

[​IMG]

They will cross to Cebu and then use local boats from there - a 45 min ferry ride

[​IMG]

Yesterday in Dumaguete

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

back at the farm, Dominic sent the current hatch - 18 hrs since transfer to the display case hatcher

[​IMG]

5. pickitfarm

Apr 6, 2013
    South Carolina
    Wonderful pictures Oz I can imagine myself there. Your daughter is sooooo adorable.

6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I agree, my DH thought that the weasel's were killing his chickens for no good reason. Just left their bodies there, picked on a bit, and dead. Didn't eat the meat. He saw the weasels, so he knew. But now, we know that they suck the blood from them. Like the Mink. We don't have wild mink around here, just the weasel.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I am really glad Sparkle is raising "her" four chicks not to be afraid of me. I got home late this afternoon and one chick was cheeping mournfully from underneath the deck. This is where poultry of all kinds hang out in the shade or to get out of rain. Most of the chickens were already cooping up; just a duck or two were hanging about under there. Not what the chick wanted or needed. Sparkle was in the house with the other three chicks when I went inside to put up my purse and bag o' groceries. When I went back outside, resigned to crawling under the deck to shoo the chick back into the garden (they can currently fit through lattice), that chick ran to me! It got a bit squirrelly about my hands reaching for it, but I was able to corner it IN the garden to retrieve it. Sparkle met me on the deck at the steps to the garden so I just had to set the chick on the deck to reunite them. Whew! :love

8. chickisoup

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

The CDC just released the first human salmonella outbreak bulletin for 2014. No surprise, they've traced it back to chicks and ducks from Mt Healthy Hatchery in Ohio, again. That's 3 yrs in a row for them. [​IMG]

http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/live-poultry-05-14/index.html

9. chickisoup

A huge times 2!!!! we still have ice on our lakes up here [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  10. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Funny that, red hair makes you blue. Nope, my thoughts were you were referring to Bluey as in ACDog...Queensland Heelers. Some even still call them Dingo but that's like calling yer dawg a Coyote here--not always received too favourably. LOL Quite a common name for Heelers is Blue and there is a famous long lived ACD named Bluey owned by the Hall family of Rochester, Victoria that lived from 1910 to 1939, 29.5 years!

[​IMG]

I like the drover's coat...wore out a navy one already and had another drover in black personalized with the farm name (have a Jacob ram, Nicto, that looks like this and threw a six horned ewe, Regina). Got a longer riding oilskin too for the more inclement wet weather, the rains in June can be predictably prevalent. Made Rick and I some old fashioned riding coats in white coat canvas, off an old western pattern, like you see in the Western movies. Now that's hard on the old sewing machines, that canvas...ha ha ha! Almost "tombstoned" my machine on that. [​IMG]

Acubra's are pretty classy I must say but...

Pretty stuck in the mud on thinking we are gonna be changin' any hat styles here... [​IMG] Hats are pretty special and thought of pretty patriotic--just the same I bet for an Australian, eh! [​IMG]

I have a black Resistol 4x beaver felt for winter and a Smithbilt Panama straw for summer...baseball caps for working in.

Chris Ledoux - This Cowboy's Hat
    Written by Jake Brooks:
    I weighed Pearl's egg...yah, I know--get a life! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pearla Girla really did make a hefty one..251.8 grams...that'd make some omelet, eh? [​IMG]

Cleared the summer house out and moved the one pair of Oz Blacks last night.

[​IMG]

Had them go for a quick swim while I transferred the buckets for water and feed.​

[​IMG]
    Stove Pipe (Piper) and Black Pearl (Pearla Gal)​

[​IMG]
    Tucked in for the night.​

I am a lot happier with the swans on one side and the Ruddies on the other...I can let them Rudes out more because I know the bigger birds are out too... Ravens concern me on the Ruddy Shels, probably paranoid but well, we have had zero predation here since Earth Day 2007 when I left a yard hen out to be eaten by an owl...my fault completely...got complacent and did not do a head count that night prior to shutting them in...my bad. Not terrible I guess to lose one hen in over 15 years, but don't care...one is one is one and that is never any FUN! [​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by