1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Wow, Chicka, that's tough. I'm leaning toward trampling/canibalism but no wounds is puzzling. How big is the brooder? How many birds in there? What do the live injured birds look like? Post pics of all sides of your brooder and the other birds, if possible. I also considered mink or rat but they would break skin. I know of no preditors that just kill and eat feathers...................

2. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Overrun With Chickens

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Wisher the brooder has plenty of room it is 4'x12' and had 12 birds in it. it was given to us for free and we covered the chicken wire with hardware cloth and I put some tin in the bottom in the back as well as some 2x6 pieces of lumber for them to sleep on. I had two large feeders and two large water's. And my dogs sleep abt. 20' from this brooder. I have taken all the birds out of this brooder. But I and still getting birds for the next three weeks and I will need to use it. It also has hardware cloth all over the entire bottom of the brooder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There is hardware cloth way up the side of this side so nothing from the ground can get them.
    [​IMG]
    They were plucked from the bottom of the brooder! This shows the tin and wood in the back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is a close up of the wound on my Chantie also shows she was plucked.

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Can you get me some nice semen in a LaMancha for fall?

As is Dsqard. I'd say we had a most memorable time, even when our luck turned for the worse we couldn't stop laughing about it and we never got lost and needed my emergency pack to survive.

Dsqard also forgot to post the dino tracks we ran into on the last hike. This was neat to see:
    [​IMG]

I can even ride it. I'll ask BF when he's in a better mood whether he'd like to take care of a yak or a water buffalo next time I fly off to the southwest. He is "absolutely exhausted" taking care of all the animals and plants while I was gone. He was so upset this morning to tell me one of our two poults died while I was gone (the mother flipped over a dog bowl waterer [that's supposed to be unflippable] on top of it and it froze to death). If that's the worst thing that happened while I was gone... success.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    SCG glad to have you posting again - long time no hear. I think your BF did very well and I hope he doesn't feel too badly about the fatal poult mishap on his watch. It wasn't his fault - you never know what crazy stunts birds are gonna pull.

5. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    It seems like poults have some kind of death wish anyway at this house. I told him they die easily and not to worry if one of them died before I left. As it was, one of them already died once, I was just able to revive it. The way I see it, we're back to the number of poults we should have had.

6. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

Oct 21, 2013
    northern exposure

1 person likes this.
  7. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Overrun With Chickens

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Thanks Chicki! I guess we will be getting a live trap this weekend.

8. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

Oct 21, 2013
    northern exposure

1 person likes this.
  9. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    May I also suggest you ask for a game cam for your birthday? I find that extremely helpful to identify predators and their "patterns." IE where they are coming from (so you know where to set the trap) or what times they are coming (so you can be out there with a firearm if that's safe for your area).

Pretty much anything with arms can reach into the chicken wire you have and "snatch" and "drag" to the edge of the cage.

1 person likes this.
  10. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013
    Cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by