The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013
    When a tornado hits North Georgia someone is going to lose a chicken house.

2. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Thanks SCG that is a great idea! I will def tell DH I want one for my birthday. I do know of one critter on our property that could be doing this, it is a Fox Tail Squirrel. We are going to have to re-do this brooder again.

I love all the pics from y'all's hiking trip! They are so beautiful looks like you all had a great time!

3. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Ahhhhh, this statement, along with the pics helped. I was imagining a brooder on the ground. I agree with the weasel/rat guesses, although if a coon can get under there, it is a possibility.

1 person likes this.
  4. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

hanks SCG that is a great idea! I will def tell DH I want one for my birthday. I do know of one critter on our property that could be doing this, it is a Fox Tail Squirrel. We are going to have to re-do this brooder again.

you stated these attacks were happening at night??? I think that eliminates the squirrel. I do agree that there is nothing like a trail cam. Just don;t forget to ask for one that can take night pics, preferably infrared [​IMG]

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

6. chickadoodles

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    We are probably going to put in a false bottom on the brooder and add more hardware cloth. Plus get a night time game cam. I just cannot believe that this happened so close to my dogs and they heard nothing! I may even move the brooder into the back section of my rooster run that has never been used .
    What I don't understand is why my birds in the coop and large runs have not these problems. We used 2x4 welded wire on our runs and our coops do not get locked up at night and most of our birds don't sleep in the coop!

7. chickadoodles

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
  8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I didn't think the ducklings produced lactase to digest the milk... how extraordinary.

And really cute.

9. chickadoodles

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    I agree.

10. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

think cat and a fishbowl. the pred was safely hidden underneath and the birds had no where to go.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by