The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    OOOOHHHH, AAAHHHH.

Very nice.

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

when do you need the incubator by?

i am fiddling with some stuff now, if you are not in a rush, I can put the electrical parts together and make a new step by step thread.

here is one that sally sunshine just built that is much bigger but same idea.

i use the digital thermostats and a different heat source but there is good discussion here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...nd-test-run-ready-set-go/400_50#post_13464422

aqlso the bordeax bator link in my sig

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  3. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    i just got my first eggs yesterday. I want to learn on my mutt eggs. Then move up to some pure breeds when i get my hatch rates good. Im not in a big hurry. I am a little excited and anxious tho. Me and my dw are having a little chicken fever since we have eggs now. I have a neighbor who wants. anything i can hatch

4. tnspursfan09

tnspursfan09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    Limestone, TN
    They're not mutts, they're "special blends." [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I have an ethical question and am welcoming opinions.

My next door neighbor is around my age (give or take 5 years). She's a stay at home, very religious, mother of two young kids. We don't have much in common, but I know she's lonely, her husband is a bit of a jerk sometimes so I am nice to her in a neighborly kind of way when I can be. I have had to set some boundaries with her because she has verbal incontinence and tends to elevate my status in her life if I am too available to her. She is nice enough, but I stress that we are not close and I do not wish to become close with her, just neighborly.

She called me up today to tell me she was pregnant (on purpose) with twins due in November. I congratulated her, and made a small joke about being in trouble now that she was going to be significantly outnumbered by children. She then proceeded to tell me that everyone wants to help with the babies, so she'll have plenty of help there, but she will need help with her other two kids and that I would be taking them once a week for a few hours for the next year or so to help her out. I was speechless. I honestly had no idea what to say to that. It seemed like she was telling me, not asking.

Please don't vilify me. I do not like kids. If I wanted to hang out with kids I would have had some myself. I am just not a kid kind of person. Sometimes I wish I was, because it would make life a lot easier, but I'm not. I can pretend for short periods of time and while I've always been polite to her kids, I don't like them. I have told her on multiple occasions that I do not like kids (she is always trying to convince me that I should reproduce). I think she thinks because I don't have kids that I have all this free time, but I have my farm and a bunch of hobbies, plus my job which is more than full time during the weekday with the addition of nights, weekends, holidays and some overnights on call each month. I don't have a lot of extra "downtime" - my downtime is the farm and my hobbies. I don't even watch TV.

I know she probably got a bit of a shock finding out she was having twins, and is trying to get her ducks in a row, so to speak. But here's my question - how do I handle this? Do I assume she's just being silly and don't ever mention it again and hope she doesn't? Should I tell her I'd rather get a colonoscopy than hang out with her kids on a weekly basis? Do I just pack up and move (kidding)? Or do I have some ethical obligation to suck it up and try to watch her kids for her a few times (certainly not weekly) in the ruse of being neighborly?

I'd appreciate your thoughts or opinions. I know most of you have kids, so I need a different perspective.

6. bamadude

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    I like to patrol my property partially nude shooting guns. My neighbors know im there when they need me...but they keep a pretty good distance. U would be surprised what nudity and a shotgun will do for a neighbor. Just saying

7. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    [​IMG] I like you, a lot. Wish you were my neighbor.

I have done some outdoor nude activities (sometimes involving firearms). Perhaps I need to step up the frequency.

8. bamadude

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Lol. My first day here involved a craftsman 48"cut riding mower, a speedo bathing suit, a .410 shotgun, and a 12 pack of busch light. My neighbors will ask me to keep an eye on their house and get their mail. No babysitting tho

9. bamadude

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    my chicks were a buff brahma roo over a light x dark brahma hen. I got light colored roos and buff colored hens. They cussed me out on the show quality thread for posting pics. I have no idea what these chicks may look like. Im hoping for cheetah striped brahmas.

10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Neighborly? I doubt babysitting in in the CCRs for your neighborhood...

Seriously over stepping boundaries is not neighborly. Her church should have a Deaconess board that would arrange such help for her.

Yes! a little bit of crazy does help right!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by