The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    SCG I know we talked a little about this yesterday on FB but I am with Latestarter, I honestly cannot believe someone would be so presumptuous. I never even assumed my relatives would watch my children let alone neighbors. I always asked first. I don't know about not saying anything now but I would definitely say no to her if she ever brought it up again. She is the one who is not being neighborly IMO. Just because you live next to her does not mean you owe her free child care. JUST SAY NO!!!

2. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Quote: ChickenCanoe:
    Well, this building used to be my tool shed. Now it's the brooder house. This has forced me to move the generator, compressor, riding mower and other large equipment outside. I'm making a box for each of them since I'll probably never be able to get them into the brooder house again. I'm making some mouse proof boxes I can drive them into and lock up. (no more mice nests in the engines).
    I still store all the non mechanized garden tools in there. I just ignore the dust.

We have three sheds out back but they are all full of DH's stuff from the last 20+ years. He does not want to share with chickens.. He said that is why we are building the pens. lol
    I guess we are going to set a live trap in the new pens before we put the roof over them to catch what ever was attacking our chicks. But really with our dogs that close they go crazy when something is out there so we can go take care of it. Even out at the coop which is abt. a 1/4 ac from the house. These pens will also be 1/4 ac from the house in the pasture.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  3. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    SCG if she brings it up again just laugh it off and tell her "ya right like I have any extra time" and let it be. She is way out of line and she needs to contact a church in your area to try to find help if she needs it. You could suggest that to her.

I never let anyone but family babysit my children, I never trusted any one to watch my children.

4. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    umm no one should expect someone to watch there kids. I have 2 young ones and expect nothing from anyone. Sure hopeful sometimes but never expecting .

5. Hangtown Farms

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    last week I hatched 10 of 14 shipped Black Penedesenca along with 6 of my own white empordanesa,
    My friend Deb set some crele olive eggers and crele penedesenca for me while my two incubators where running
    and I should be picking them up today.
    I also have Partridge Penedesenca and Crele Penedesenca in my R-Com from Ron and Brown Red Ameraucana and White Empordanesa and Crele Penedesenca in my Genesis. The Brown Reds are developing , can't see into the Pene eggs well enough yet.
    so basically I need a bigger Brooder and need to get busy on a larger grow out run

6. Hangtown Farms

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    ohh and Happy Mothers day

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There's another smaller replica of that building just about 15' away and another long narrow building as well as a breeder complex of 5 units.

One needs a permit here to build any permanent structure over 100 sq. ft. which is one of the reasons I have several buildings just under that threshold. It also adds a lot of flexibility in housing.

I can certainly imagine your inability to speak.
    I like kids, from a distance. But would never consider watching a neighbor's on a regular basis. I raised my own, now it's the new parent's turn.

There's nothing like answering the door with that look to keep those soliciting for a bible study session at bay for years to come.

X2

I wouldn't even offer up other things. That's a slippery slope, especially with someone so presumptuous.

Unless she wants to come over weekly and help you farm.

That was going to be my suggestion. Though I wouldn't wait. She may be off enough to think that just because she mentioned it once, it's a done deal. Then she'll show up one day with kids in tow.

That could work

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Where did you get your black eggs?
    I need to get another line established here.

9. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I have some nice wooden brooders, 4x4 and 2x4s. Very easy to make. Not sure if you've seen the pictures, but these might inspire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Hangtown Farms

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    Joshua at Dirty Ankle Acres. We traded eggs. My own Black from My Rooster and hens have been looking good too so I may put my guy over these girls from this hatch and keep a few roosters and use the best from my existing girls

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by