The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013
    Goats are browsers. They will eat most anything with leaves on it including tree bark.
  2. Dragonfly216

Dragonfly216 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Yeah it's 74° and raining. It's been pretty hot here lately, gonna get hotter, and the house we live in doesn't have central heating and cooling. But you know? I'd rather be hot than shivering under five layers and three blankets and not able to get warm! I can at least run down to the creek and jump in, or get a mister bottle with cold, icy water to spray myself off. I can always cool down pretty easily, but I'm do cold natured that it gets just plain uncomfortable! It's going to rain for the next week, it looks like! No manual watering of my garden this week, yay!
  3. Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads New Egg

May 28, 2014
    Wish I could have got a couple .
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Dusty [​IMG] glad you joined the flock [​IMG]
  5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Funny the different perspective on hot and cold.
    I figure I can always put more clothes on when it gets cold.
    When it's hot, I can take all my clothes off and guess what - I'm still hot, sweaty and swatting bugs.

I understand people that live in warm climates having trouble with the cold. We have several months of cold, sometimes really cold, like well below 0F. I'm always amazed when I'm out in that weather. I'll be at a gas station or drugstore and someone will walk in shivering, complaining about the cold. They have a thin jacket on and it isn't even zipped up. I want to say. "YOU LIVE IN ST. LOUIS!!! BUY A COAT AND ZIP IT UP!!!"
  6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Welcome to BYC and the Old Folk's Home, Dusty! I'm happy you used your first post in our humble thread. Pull up a rocking chair and have a glass of sweet tea!
  7. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

My sentiments, EXACTLY! I often go to the coop in my night gown in the winter but pull on a pair of sweatpants in the summer. DH couldn't understand this at all, so I explained. I can stand the cold for a bit in nearly nothing, but in the summer, the gnats, mosquitoes, and no-see-ums will eat you alive within minutes of going outside. If I will only be there long enough to check on them and collect eggs, there is no need to bathe in Off! and get all stinky. I will, however, spray on a thick coat if I have to clean out coops and waterers, or work on something outside for more than 30-45 minutes.
  8. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    Welcome dusty roads. My favorite professional wrestler had the same name as u. U wouldnt by any chance have stopped wrestling and starting raising chickens?
  9. Latestarter

Latestarter Chicken Obsessed

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    [​IMG] I remember Dusty the wrestler as well. My kids were convinced that was all real. That goes back quite a few years! [​IMG] Dusty!
  10. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    It is real

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by