The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Only growing legal plants here. No orange jumpsuits dancing thriller on YouTube for me

2. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013
    That's goats for you. they will stand in the middle of good forage and push the fence over to get that on the outside.

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Goats have some instinctive behaviors that probably serve them well in their native habitat, but which can drive you bonkers in a barnyard. Normally, when goats feed, they'll take a few bites of this, then a few bites of that; never standing and eating on one type of plant for long. I hear that it's because most of the plants in the area they come from have built-in chemical defenses, and by only eating a little bit of each, they avoid getting a dose large enough to make them ill of any one thing. They also prefer to eat well above the ground. They can be standing knee-deep in hay, but that stuff has touched the ground - they can't eat that![​IMG] I'm sure they pick up fewer parasites that way, but clambering over a pile of hay to put hay in a rack for clamorous "starving" goats gets old.[​IMG]

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Here are my goats.

[​IMG] Dusty (wether)

[​IMG]

Turn your head sideways, or someone can rotate them for me. I can rotate them, save it that way, delete the original, and it still downloads sideways........whatever.

[​IMG] Oreo (formerly known as Socks)

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Goat stall, under construction

5. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013
    Goats will eat the tails off of cows and horses. I have seen Bucks that would Butt anyone that come around except someone that had established dominance over them and then they should not turn their backs

6. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    So which is better, a goat or a bush hog?

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Bush hog is indiscriminate, quick, requires fuel and other equipment.

Goats are a little slower, require water, provide milk and meat.

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    And from what SCG says, bush hogs are much quieter in the long run! [​IMG]

9. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Ive heard u can tether a goat and it will eat weeds. I have a lot of briars, dew berries, and weeds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by