The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Dragonfly216

Dragonfly216 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama
    So I've fallen in love! Does anyone know where I can get some good, breeder quality blue laced red Wyandotte chicks? I'd rather go with someone's advice on a breeder they know/have used before. There's so many of them on the interwebs! Or even if you know which breeder online is the best? Or the worst really! I need to know who to not go thru also. Thanks in advance!

2. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

did you check out their breed thread on here???

3. Dragonfly216

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama
    I have looked at it and sent a few emails, I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with any good breeders online. I hear hatcheries aren't the best place to get good birds, and I love to get advice from people who have already dealt with particular breeders. Or even just a trusted friend!

4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Many many years ago I bought some BLRW eggs from Red Roof Hens in Georgia. I ended up selling them as juvies because they just weren't personable and I had decided to go in a different direction with my hens (namely, turkens and mutts - tell me I don't have good decision making skills). A BLRW breeder around here was bummed that I didn't sell to her because she said they were good quality from what she could tell at their age.

For what it's worth I had good service from them, quick shipping and I can't recall a terrible hatch rate although I do recall most were shrink wrapped (likely my terrible incubating skills).

5. Dragonfly216

Sep 21, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama

Great, thank you! I will look into them.

6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Good morning, y'all. It's a balmy 36 out there right now. At least it's not raining. Or snowing.

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Gee, it almost looks like it's snowing over near the barn. There's a termite swarm coming out of an old tree stump.[​IMG]

8. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

Yep. 40o here this morning. Got to love the north,eh??? Folks in the south must be so bored [​IMG]

9. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    I cant understand how u guys cope with so much cold. The 2 or 3 cold months here drive me batty. Its supposed to be 89 degrees here today

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I can't take the heat. (so why am I still in Missouri?)
    April and May have been ideal.

I've always liked the cold and snow but this winter made me rethink that, big time.

Last edited: May 29, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by