The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You Californians have always done such cool things school wise. Around here, all schools seemed like dungeons.

You guys all give me a good chuckle every day.

Now that I'm not drinking as much I try to stay up for 'The Daily Show' and 'The Colbert Report' but that means I can't get up before 6. I used to go to sleep right after I closed the chickens up at dusk. But on the plus side, I'd be up by 3 or 4.

I am in such good company here. When I tell people I know stories like that, I'm pretty sure they don't believe me.

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Just a quick note - you can view Daily Show and Colbert on Hulu the day after it airs. I watch Tuesday through Friday (or save up a week and binge watch on the weekend while cleaning the house).

We don't have TV but keep pretty entertained on the laptop.

3. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah, if I miss it, I just go to Comedy Central. com and watch what I miss.

It really makes sense out of the news. I love their mockery of CNNs incompetence. And to think that CNN was the most respected when Ted Turner started it. I bet he hates it now - all the way to the bank.

5. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    im not the best butcher...it came off the butt cheak of a 4 point white tail. Hope the mods dont boot me (again)

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Call it a Venison Rump Roast. It is an Butcher term so you should not get in trouble.

I bet it will taste great!

7. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    BLT's tonight....with fresh batch of corn on the cob from the garden. Yummmm [​IMG]

We're getting ripe tomatoes from the tomato patch now. No bird pecks...and no blossom end rot. I had to do the epsom salts water last week for BER on the first round.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  8. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    what type of corn? If u have never had silver queen corn....u are missing out.

9. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

people are talking about corn here too.

10. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Corn not even close here. It's about half grown. Potatoes are getting close. I'm still planting chiles and tomatoes.

The corn is from seed my wife and daughter brought back from the elephant sanctuary in Thailand.

I did pick a bunch of apricots today. They're perfect. I have a bucket of black raspberries too.

ETA
    Not be a bummer, but
    As y'all know, I'm not a medical type. One of my best friends is a doctor though and his girlfriend (one of my wife's best friends) is a nurse. She (the nurse) had lung cancer 3 years ago, had a lung removed, had chemo and radiation and it seemed to be cleared up. A week ago she discovered she had brain cancer. She has 8 tumors on both sides of her brain. Her oncologist told her yesterday that at this stage even though they're doing a whole head radiation thing, she may have 2-5 months left. They're hoping for a miracle. He came by today on his lunch break. (he's a home visit physician and occasionally has patients up my way). He walked up to me in the garden and just broke down in tears.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by