The Old Folks Home

Picked some maters today

ChickenCanoe you needed all three guesses but you got it right on the third try. Dutch it is (at least that is what I have been told anyway
wink.png
)
clap.gif

Hey ron! That maiden name of mine is German, and I love love to hug! I'm the hug bug. :) Actually, I have Native American in me also.

As my Father tells it, my Great Grandfather came over on a ship as a baby. Grew up in mid west area, married an Indian woman. Not sure what tribe. My father was born in MO..so was I.

Last edited:
Hey ron! That maiden name of mine is German, and I love love to hug! I'm the hug bug. :) Actually, I have Native American in me also.

As my Father tells it, my Great Grandfather came over on a ship as a baby. Grew up in mid west area, married an Indian woman. Not sure what tribe. My father was born in MO..so was I.
My Family on the Ottman side was German Lutheran. It was not Manly to hug. My Mom's side of the family were Irish Catholic--Hugging and a kiss on the cheek was required--except for the ones they may have been feuding with.

They had huge family events too.

My 10 letter last name is also very unique and often butchered. I am one of three in the US - my parents are the other two.

I got married in 2006 to a man with the last name of Clark. Suddenly I went from incredibly unique to incredibly not.

In 2007 I was new on my job and a couple weeks into it - still training - when the secretary comes out and tells me I have a phone call. Confused, but accepting, I took the call. The person at the other end tells me I need a physical and tells me when and where to report. I'm polite, but trying to figure out why I need a physical. I told him I just had one at work to start my job. He tells me that doesn't count. So I tell him I'll be there, and then I ask him what this is about. He tells me it's about my deployment.

"My deployment? To where??"

"Afghanistan."

This is where my panic attack began.

"I know I signed a lot of paperwork when I started this but I'm pretty sure you can't do this to me without my consent."

"Ma'am you signed your consent away."

What seemed like an hour into the argument, another coworker leaned over and said "there's two people with your name that also work here."

I managed to clarify with the man on the other end that he was indeed not looking for me with that name, but someone else who was likely more expectant of being deployed.

Growing up with the name I had it never occurred to me that I could be confused for someone else. That's just not in my genetic code.

When I got divorced I happily snatched my maiden name back up.

Back
Top Bottom