The Old Folks Home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wisher1000, Jul 28, 2012.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I am way not too proud to take some "free seeds." I have an especial love of tomato and cucurbits.

Send some to Maine! Please!

Lost one of my original turkey hens to a stupid fox in the past few days. She didn't make it to roll call last night, but she's a stubborn broad and always lays her eggs in the woods and tries to brood them. I went looking for her last night in her usual haunts, but didn't find her. Today I found her feathers strewn about over the course of about 50 feet. [​IMG] Why couldn't it have been that stupid guinea instead?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, I know I am late to the subject, but my screen-name is the first one I created back when I used a 1200 baud modem. Sometimes I use GryEyes911 on sites related to my former employment.

I happen to have grey eyes. <*shrugging*>. Somewhere, I have a photo of just my eyes for proof. Somebody once close to me animated that image so I have a winking version... Also somewhere...

3. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Well.......we did have some pasture raised grain fed beef hamburgers.....with tomatoes right off the vine. Can't say much for the chicken though. They are currently outside baking in the 107F heat indices. Dang it was too hot to breathe out there this afternoon! And I have 1 broody hen sitting on a clutch of 7 eggs. The rest of them are laying hard boiled eggs at the moment. Or not laying at all.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Like these?
    [​IMG]

I guess those are more blue than grey, aren't they?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  5. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Do you have people intimidated by you because of your eyes?

I have very light cool blue eyes and I hear from most people that I have an icy death stare. Not sure if that's due to my eyes or just my personality... [​IMG] But I go with it and use it to my advantage.

I am currently trialing "Insect Shield" clothing. It is clothing that has permethrin imbedded in it for up to 70 regular washes. Right now I'm just wearing the bandana, but I braved going outside in a (regular clothing) tank top. I have a pretty good sniffer and can't smell it, but I did notice a difference in that my first priority was no longer swatting bugs away from my head. I might be rockin' this bandana look for the rest of bug season.

6. JW12

JW12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2014
    Greenback, TN
    Bamadude..... I want in on the seeds. I'm across the line in TN from you ( don't hold that against me... War eagle! ) ( don't hold that against me either lol )

7. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Scg i will pm u at the end of our growing season. I usually wait until the frost kills the plant and ferment the seeds from the fruits that are left "hanging".

8. bamadude

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Jw12 roll tide but u can also have seeds. I love the entire sec

9. JW12

JW12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2014
    Greenback, TN
    Me to with the exception of Vandy and Arkansas lol

10. bamadude

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Im positively sure u cant plant a burpee onion seed in vidalia georgia.....and get a vidalia onion. I can plant the heirloom seeds from the fsmous vidalia onion seeds here, in alabama...and get really close to flavor and texture

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by