The Old Folks Home

I visited my pig tonight. My pig is being raised with a friend's pigs. I am paying for the food and some extra for trouble. I think she loves me.

I know I love bacon.

This relationship won't last, I fear. I think my love for bacon will eventually trump my love of this face.

That's the best way to do it. Let someone else raise them and buy feed....pigs are so hard to ....I love bacon also. Always best to raise pigs with more than one, so your doing them a favor....flavor...
Hello, I haven't been on BYC in quite some time, 2011 I think
1f60a.png
anyway, it's nice to see the place is still around.
I hope to be dropping in more frequently, and this thread looks like a good place to start
270c.png

Nope, just looked, it was 2012
1f61d.png
Old people here, 50% old, 50% not so old, one tag along teen,(
hide.gif
Lsky, I don't mean you, Al Bamadude is a teen at heart Lol!, sorry, had to say it, love ya bamadude!!!)

Thanks NAF. I didn't post on a bunch of threads with him, but he did post some on the WV thread and invited me to the production thread. Wish I had been able to keep up there, but I'm a bit behind on many threads. He was such an interesting character! And had a way of ticking folks off that I thoroughly loved! Lol He will be missed by many!
Definitly will be missed, I hope his son Jason comes back, sounds a whole heck like him in his posts. Hellbender had a way of saying stuff, wish I could have met him in person. I would have never had got the naked necks I have now (5 weeks old now) got them from where he said, Cackle, always thought they were ugly, SCG here I think posted a super sexy pic of one a yr ago or so when I mentioned they were ugly, still didn't want them, hellbender told me
"Just get naked necks, best darn chicken you can GET!!!!" not his exact words but....I GOT THEM!,...and they ARE the coolest, love them, and growing like crazy!!!

If u ever go to a pig pickin (roasted whole hog)and watch the old timers and the cook...they all start at the snout.
Is that why I never see a pig nose at a pig roast?!!! They pick it first!
somad.gif
whole pig, never a snout...never saw one....

@Alaskan Dang!!, so sorry!!...That reads like a screen play for a movie! WOW!...Always wondered why you moved to Alaska besides it's beautiful up there....
I ain't the hugging type, but
hugs.gif

That's the best way to do it. Let someone else raise them and buy feed....pigs are so hard to ....I love bacon also. Always best to raise pigs with more than one, so your doing them a favor....flavor...
Old people here, 50% old, 50% not so old, one tag along teen,( :oops: Lsky, I don't mean you, Al Bamadude is a teen at heart Lol!, sorry, had to say it, love ya bamadude!!!)

Definitly will be missed, I hope his son Jason comes back, sounds a whole heck like him in his posts. Hellbender had a way of saying stuff, wish I could have met him in person. I would have never had got the naked necks I have now (5 weeks old now) got them from where he said, Cackle, always thought they were ugly, SCG here I think posted a super sexy pic of one a yr ago or so when I mentioned they were ugly, still didn't want them, hellbender told me
"Just get naked necks, best darn chicken you can GET!!!!"  not his exact words but....I GOT THEM!,...and they ARE the coolest, love them, and growing like crazy!!!

Is that why I never see a pig nose at a pig roast?!!! They pick it first!:mad:      whole pig, never a snout...never saw one....
What does that make me? An old fart at heart?

OK, so I obviously missed something... SCG, did you find that pig that wandered on to (then off of) your place? I don't recall ever hearing any more about it... Congrats on future bacon regardless!

Negative. I went out casing the neighborhood well armed a few times but never got that pig, unfortunately. I really wanted it. This one is a piglet. My friend raises a few pigs every other year. Last year she lamented that the place that does the butchering made awful bacon and she wasn't going to get bacon made because of it. I immediately jumped on that because BF buys bulk pig bellies from the butcher and turns them into bacon after a few weeks of curing and smoking (I hear, I refuse to eat commercial meat). She agreed and said if we did that we could have half. It was the most delicious bacon in the world and I still think about it every day. It went quickly both in our house and hers. Anyway, even though she does pigs every other year since she was out of bacon she decided to raise pigs again this year and asked if we wanted one. Of course! So they bought an extra pig, we paid for it and our part of the feed. It should be ready November/Decemberish. I will help with the killing and when they need something (like last night they wanted a bale of hay for pig bedding so I brought that over). I don't want to have any issues with me "freeloading" on this pig adventure so I'll be going over frequently to help. I want another pig when the opportunity strikes. They have an easy enough set up though I think I could convince BF to do it here.
Lastly, a friend of mine who moved to NY (the one that does the chicken rental business) is raising meat cows this year. I bought a part of a cow from her, waiting for it to be ready then I'll drive to NY to pick it up. I'm really picky about the way my food is raised so I have to know it's happy and healthy.

"Just get naked necks, best darn chicken you can GET!!!!" not his exact words but....I GOT THEM!,...and they ARE the coolest, love them, and growing like crazy!!!

Completely agree. I love my turkens. Surprisingly the turken line that I appear to have doesn't have "hair" - you know the fine hair that is left on a carcass after plucking it? Mine make amazing meat birds because of that, a super clean carcass that doesn't require waxing, shaving or blowtorching. I ended up moving to other breeds, though, because selling turken babies up here was incredibly hard. No one wants that breed.

I am Tottering a bit too!

I am eligible for AARP.

I feel like this when I look in a mirror:

DD1 got a letter from AARP asking her to join ... she was 17. It was so bizarre I called them to ask. They just buy mailing lists and she must have bought something that tagged her as an old fart.

What is a mirror??

Quote:
Jason posted under hellbender's ID just over a week ago. His brother Aaron (@Turk Raphael ) said he also has one of his own but I don't know what it is.

Completely agree. I love my turkens. Surprisingly the turken line that I appear to have doesn't have "hair" - you know the fine hair that is left on a carcass after plucking it? Mine make amazing meat birds because of that, a super clean carcass that doesn't require waxing, shaving or blowtorching. I ended up moving to other breeds, though, because selling turken babies up here was incredibly hard. No one wants that breed.

I wonder why. Oh, because they are UGLY! If you are raising chickens for eggs, you really want them to be nice looking since you'll be seeing them daily for years
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom