The Old Folks Home

Beautiful day. And what am I doing? Binge watching Dexter.

Aren't they, though? If I walk into the kitchen I'm sure I'll see a couple of girls (and probably Peter Pan as well) perched on the porch gate, peering into the kitchen window. Hey food lady? Snackies?

Dh, and I love watching Dexter. If mine could get to my back porch, or back window, I'm sure they would be making a constant ruckus to get treats.

Thanks for the advice & the encouragement! A lady at Hobby Lobby told me about something to use for the backs of the tee's, but I didn't write it down & forgot what it was. :he As usual, I would LOVE to see any pix you get of the headstones &/or the actual cemeteries.

Scg I think it's great that you do the headstone restorations. Here there are so many old cemeteries that are abandoned and some graves have stone covers and they crack and with all the rain we get here some get cracked open and it's terrible.

I've never had a fried green tomato, but they looked yummy in the movie! :drool
They are!
I shared picks of how to make them on the Cafe thread if you would like to look at it. They are very easy to make and only take a few minutes.

Quilting is fun and let's you get creative. I watched a lot of video's on Youtube by Missouri Star Quilt Co. She makes all the blocks look so easy. She also has dyslexia which helps me. Because I do also so it's a bit challenging for me. I made a cut out board that helps me keep the blocks in order to sew them together now. It's just a piece of cardboard covered with a tee shirt. lol but it works! Craftsy is another great site. There are also free webinars by the Virtual Sewing Guild Margaret Moorehead always has guests that show you different techniques. Some of the Webinars are free and some are not but sometimes they do a repeat and you can often get it free then.

Rev War Veteran, before and after

19420369_1342494475805110_277525411695379345_n.jpg
19437390_1342753435779214_6120057835133461394_n.jpg

Civil War Vet ... A sacrifice for his country
He died at Bedlow's Island, NY (AKA Bedloe's Island, now known as Liberty Island, which is where the statue of liberty is located. I didn't know that island was physically located in NJ, yet run by NY. Learn something new every day).

Pribble1.jpg
pribble2.jpg
pribble3.jpg

His sister's stone is broken off 2 stones down, and her last name is spelled Preble, not Pribble.

And the last one, which I had zero plans to do today (and no pre-picture as a result), another Civil War Veteran.
His stone is in a different cemetery, next to the property of a member of our towns cemetery committee. When that guy uses the right of way in that area he drives past this stone, which was almost face down... couldn't see the writing. I came over after cleaning the other 3 stones to assess it and see what it would take to fix it. It was an easy fix. I ran out to the store to get some drainable filler while he measured and dug an appropriate hole for the stone. Got it cleaned, set back in, leveled and then added it to findagrave.com to document it. It has beautiful detail work that wouldn't have seen the light of day had we not reset it.
howard1.jpg
howard2.jpg

It takes about an hour per stone to clean it, plus documentation work of the words and any art. The Rev War one scrubbed off pretty good. The cleanser that I use (D2) will continue to kill the stuff growing on the stone and "bleach" it over the next 6 months, so those other stones, while not immediately beautiful after scrubbing like this stone was, will improve over time, once the roots of the moss/lichen die.

Back
Top Bottom