The Old Folks Home

Yes! Agree with bruce and Ron....the self cleaning litter box and getting a kitty at a shelter.

I've also taken house kitty's in from folks who have a loved kitty bit can't keep it anymore if they've gotten sick, or have to move etc. All the kitty's I've taken in have been very nice. Plus they've been loved and already trained. I prefer an older cat myself, it's a better match as far as activity wise. Plus they are harder to rehome. I always a fan of the underdog. You can find a younger cat or kitten at a shelter or needing to be rehomed as well if that's what you're wanting. :clap
I definitely am a fan of taking in an animal that really needs to be rescued and I know most people go for the cute little kitten. I love kittens but it's the adult cats are the ones that no one wants, especially the bigger ones. I've always wanted a Maine Coon or a MC mix. Don't know if I could find one of those or would ever get a kitty that big past him tho :lau

Chicki I had cat's and never dealt with a litter box. I trained my cats just like dogs to go outside.
I did tie a bell on the door so if it needed out and I was not in the room I would hear the bell. It worked great for us. I just let them in and out like the dogs.
That is a really cool idea but the area I live in is far too predator rich to let a kitty come and go as it pleases.

chicki, even the self cleaning ones have to be emptied, and dealt with occasionally.
True but isn't it mostly just gathering up the bag, tying it off and tossing it, then putting in a new bag? With 1 cat maybe only necessary once or twice a week if that? I haven't used one so I'm only going on what little research I did when DW wanted a covered box. One of the boys sometimes aims too high (or something).

Our 2 older cats came from the shelter, maybe 3 Y/O when we got them. The other two were "drop offs" as kittens. They are all indoor only cats and seem quite content with that. Only the oldest one has never lived outside. She was turned in by someone's family. The 2nd oldest was presumably on the loose for 6 months before someone managed to trap her and bring her in. They named her Rascal at the shelter and we kept that name. She's still really hard to catch if she thinks someone is coming for her. But after "only" 7 years, she will sit next to SOME of the family for scratches. But any even slightly sudden movement and she is GONE. The youngest was dropped off at maybe 3 months of age, found him in the barn. In February. I wasn't going to have yet another cat in the house (for ME to care for) but DD2 came home from college in early March. She is a cat lover and decided this one should be hers. So after a trip to the vet for disease checks and ear mite medicine, in he came. Doesn't seem to have any desire to go out. We do have a large (full of junk) enclosed porch and the cats will go out there. We leave a window open in the summer.

Have you been checked for uric acid in the joint? If it is there, gout medicine can cure it. Gouty arthritis is the only curable arthritis.
Is that something I might have had even as a kid??

:gig...and I like those grabby sticks for picking up things that are down! That's funny!
I got at TSC one for my wife. I wasn't even looking for that but saw one misplaced and figured I should get it. With her RA she can't always get her hand down to ground level. I've used it on occasion when something drops behind a cabinet or the sofa.

True but isn't it mostly just gathering up the bag, tying it off and tossing it, then putting in a new bag? With 1 cat maybe only necessary once or twice a week if that? I haven't used one so I'm only going on what little research I did when DW wanted a covered box. One of the boys sometimes aims too high (or something).

Our 2 older cats came from the shelter, maybe 3 Y/O when we got them. The other two were "drop offs" as kittens. They are all indoor only cats and seem quite content with that. Only the oldest one has never lived outside. She was turned in by someone's family. The 2nd oldest was presumably on the loose for 6 months before someone managed to trap her and bring her in. They named her Rascal at the shelter and we kept that name. She's still really hard to catch if she thinks someone is coming for her. But after "only" 7 years, she will sit next to SOME of the family for scratches. But any even slightly sudden movement and she is GONE. The youngest was dropped off at maybe 3 months of age, found him in the barn. In February. I wasn't going to have yet another cat in the house (for ME to care for) but DD2 came home from college in early March. She is a cat lover and decided this one should be hers. So after a trip to the vet for disease checks and ear mite medicine, in he came. Doesn't seem to have any desire to go out. We do have a large (full of junk) enclosed porch and the cats will go out there. We leave a window open in the summer.

Is that something I might have had even as a kid??

I got at TSC one for my wife. I wasn't even looking for that but saw one misplaced and figured I should get it. With her RA she can't always get her hand down to ground level. I've used it on occasion when something drops behind a cabinet or the sofa.
In Men, it is usually after age 30. If earlier, it would be a renal or enzyme problem. It can happen but is rare. Have you had a swollen and or painful big toe after the age of 30? Kidney stones? Stones that are made of uric acid is a sign.

I have congenital spinal stenosis and it did give be problems as a child. I had surgery for it 10 years ago and am much better now

They make self cleaning litter boxes. I think some have sensors and timers so they don't run until some time after the cat has gone away (I presume so it doesn't scare the cat). If the only issue is having to scoop the box, that should get you a new kitty :D Take him with you to the shelter and let a cat pick him. He can't turn that down (then you can get one for yourself as well).

the box at the end has to be bought in stacks then thrown away when full but cats are smart had one the cats would jump in then scratch jump out to see it go.. bending is my worst enemy... rescue is a relative term all our cats are "rescues" 5 inside three outside but have raised them from kittens 6 are feral domesticated my two a siamese owned by my old caregiver was to far along when I got her I would not kill live kittens so have mine the other one was being given away as kitten at walmart in Shelton did not want him left to breed all our's are altered

In Men, it is usually after age 30. If earlier, it would be a renal or enzyme problem. It can happen but is rare. Have you had a swollen and or painful big toe after the age of 30? Kidney stones? Stones that are made of uric acid is a sign.

I have congenital spinal stenosis and it did give be problems as a child. I had surgery for it 10 years ago and am much better now
Nope not big toe problems. I had kidney stones twice, calcium though.

Spinal stenosis sounds really painful! Sure glad you got fixed up.

Back
Top Bottom