The Old Folks Home

I attempted taking down wallpaper in kitchen and upstairs hallway. I tell people it's a work in progress. It is, I started many years ago. My sister told me to take down the awful green velvet trees on a foil background upstairs, and the awful paper in the kitchen. The walls have never looked worse. She didn't tell HOW to remove wall paper so I just kept pulling until big pieces ripped off wrecking dry wall as well.

My son said he would patch the dry wall or something - still waiting on that. Found out the kitchen had pink walls at one time and yellow before that. Oh well.

Wish someone had told me to put paneling or something over it.
Why don't you put up paneling over it?

I attempted taking down wallpaper in kitchen and upstairs hallway. I tell people it's a work in progress. It is, I started many years ago. My sister told me to take down the awful green velvet trees on a foil background upstairs, and the awful paper in the kitchen. The walls have never looked worse. She didn't tell HOW to remove wall paper so I just kept pulling until big pieces ripped off wrecking dry wall as well.

My son said he would patch the dry wall or something - still waiting on that. Found out the kitchen had pink walls at one time and yellow before that. Oh well.

put new drywall over it

Why don't you put up paneling over it?

because paneling is dark and ugly

put new drywall over it

because paneling is dark and ugly
Not always...
20180111_180659.jpg

You should see what they have at home improvement stores now.

Not always...View attachment 1244196
You should see what they have at home improvement stores now.
DW wanted to use that type, I don't even though it is a lot nicer than the old paneling, there is quite a few nice paneling options. Our prob is the living room is 11' and a little more walls, so we'd have to do something to make up for the 8' paneling, ... many options, she also suggested the thin sheetrock also 8' so more work. They also make 12' sheetrock but it's 5/8? thick, what I'd like to do is tear the old lath and plaster down and use the good thick sheetrock, but she ain't into the mess again, rather cover it up lol.
Really think we should just level out the walls with plaster and relief paint....

This reminded me of something my mom did yrs ago long before they gutted and totally changed/remodeled/insulated their house way back when they didn't have any $ .
No joke it looked pretty good. She ripped up a ton of brown paper grocery bags and paper mache'd? them over the kitchen/living room walls. Looked like leather walls. This was way back in the 80's. Couldn't find a pick like it online but some close, don't know where she got the idea back then, something similar
upload_2018-1-23_0-47-7.jpeg

Guess they do it with floors also
IMG_0854W1.jpg

Very cool Ron.

I have a story that was written in the Holton, Ks. news paper about some of my Bateman's that made the trek to Canada from Ireland and then across the country where they entered the US in Minnesota to Kansas.
My gr. gr. Aunt sewed several hems in her under-skirt and sewed the family gold into her slip and wore it from Canada to Kansas. And my 3rd great grandmother passed away from some illness in Iowa and was buried along the trail. When they made it to Holton Kansas her husband Matthew Smith went into Leavenworth, Ks for business and never returned home. I found burial receipts dated Aug 1859. Just a few months after his wife Jane Bateman Smith died in Iowa. They left 4 children orphans to be passed around the family and finally raised by Jane's brother Chas Bateman.

I have searched high and low for a reason for Matthew Smith's death.
But that was during the time of the Quantrail's Raiders and lot's of gun slinger's so who knows what happened.

mysteries are fun. Great story.

My sister told me to take down the awful green velvet trees on a foil background upstairs, and the awful paper in the kitchen

I probably would have liked the fuzzy trees. .. but then I find the dated stuff great fun... well not the shag carpets because those get so impressively filthy potatoes could grow on them! :sick I like floors with zero carpet. But funky dated carpet and odd old colors are great.

Really think we should just level out the walls with plaster and relief paint...

But color in the plaster and you get that great tone on tone look. Also, when the kids bang it up, since the color goes through the material. . instead of just a top coat... the damage blends in better.

Cool idea with the paperbags by the way. Looks a bit like plaster.

Back
Top Bottom