The Old Folks Home

I can tell which birds have ventured out to the run. They have mud up to their spurs.

I also have my first tentative broody of the season. She has been on again off again since last November. Chilled during the bitter cold and is now back on whatever eggs she can find to sit on. First time broody. A bit of an airhead. I go in the coop and she is sitting there adoring her eggs. It's like the old joke I don't have a short attention spa....oooooooo somthing sparkley! Only with her it's 'eggs beautiful eggs wonderful eggs must hatch ....oooooo human with bread!' and off she goes.

Today I carefully slipped her 'egg' out from under her and gave her three ceramic substitutes that I had carried out to the coop warmed on the way by my armpits and she happily settled down on them for the night. If she can keep her wits about her and resist the slice of bread for a few days she will get the real thing.

I'm to the point and age where I seriously consider chasing my chickens as exercise.

I can tell which birds have ventured out to the run. They have mud up to their spurs.

I also have my first tentative broody of the season. She has been on again off again since last November. Chilled during the bitter cold and is now back on whatever eggs she can find to sit on. First time broody. A bit of an airhead. I go in the coop and she is sitting there adoring her eggs. It's like the old joke I don't have a short attention spa....oooooooo somthing sparkley! Only with her it's 'eggs beautiful eggs wonderful eggs must hatch ....oooooo human with bread!' and off she goes.

Today I carefully slipped her 'egg' out from under her and gave her three ceramic substitutes that I had carried out to the coop warmed on the way by my armpits and she happily settled down on them for the night. If she can keep her wits about her and resist the slice of bread for a few days she will get the real thing.

I'm to the point and age where I seriously consider chasing my chickens as exercise.
Goats give you a better work out. Pigs are the best workout, fast and hard to hang onto.

I remember chasing pigs not fun unless you are a kid
OMG, we had a pig rodeo when i sold the three pigs we raised! It was hilarious. Wish i had a video of it! Four adults chasing three pigs. Hubby was chasing them around the pond, i was trying to rope them, and the other 2 were trying to get the pigs into their night time pen. I actually did get the rope around one leg of a pig and held on while i was dragged about 20 feet! I got the pig by the leg and sat on it! It quit struggling after that. Ended up taking 2 hours to catch them all.

OMG, we had a pig rodeo when i sold the three pigs we raised! It was hilarious. Wish i had a video of it! Four adults chasing three pigs. Hubby was chasing them around the pond, i was trying to rope them, and the other 2 were trying to get the pigs into their night time pen. I actually did get the rope around one leg of a pig and held on while i was dragged about 20 feet! I got the pig by the leg and sat on it! It quit struggling after that. Ended up taking 2 hours to catch them all.

I had a dog that would play tug of war with them that was when you sneak up on them

:lau

Too funny. I love the mental image of a dog playing tug o war with a pig.

Funniest thing I saw was several years ago during 'fall festival' season here we pulled into the local grocery store and parked next to an older hatch back car. Didn't think much of it till I came out of the store and the car was still there. Walking past it I did a double take. There was a little 'bottle baby' sized calf in the back seat just standing there looking out the window. One of the local little towns (lots of them around us with populations of 75 to 100 people and they are considered towns) was having their fall festival and I remembered seeing that they were having some sort of contest where the prize was a calf. Probably the Missouri version of a cake walk.

Gotta give the winner credit, they figured out how to get their grand prize home. I just wouldn't want to be the one to clean out the car afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom