The Old Folks Home

Chooks Chick I had the misfortune of planting a sapling Sycamore tree in 1973, I liked the big leaves. I got it at Kmart, nothing on it t said : it will be huge, it will throw abundant branches to the ground for no reason, it will have a huge branch spread that will try to get in your bedroom windows/ rub shingles off the roof.

I think you should write plant descriptions! This had me laughing and it's likely more true than anything printed on the informational stick.

I had three HUGE Sycamores and a Tulip Poplar in the backyard of the house I bought when I was single. I loved it but the large, solid blanket of leaves deposited on the lawn in the fall was annoying. It is true about the seed balls, they are hard until they are ready to disperse their seeds, then they break open into puff balls that explode into zilllions of tiny silky floating seeds that cover everything. Curiously, few of them sprout....... The wood is brittle and the limbs grow horizontally and very long and heavy. Still, the trunks and limbs are silvery grey with white patches where the bark peels away. The shade it makes is coop and dark and is a perfect place for a rope swing.

Greetings from the other side of the planet.

Lots happening. A big hatch is underway. The boar semen has been ordered and will be delivered on Tuesday. I will do the AI Tuesday - Thursday. I have been sorting teenage poultry. We put several roos in the fridge.

My daughters birthday was a huge hit. She had a two tier pink fondant cake with a fondant fairy princess crown. It was at Jollibee - Google it. The mascot did his dance and the kids were very happy.

I have been looking at locations at around 3500 feet should I win the lotto. I would love the cooler mountain air.

Our gardens are struggling to retain moisture even with lots of rain. I am thinking about doing a prototype raised bed on a layer of something pretty permanent to slow down drainage. I wish we had clay near by. I would truck in 20 meters.
Hola!! Sounds like a perfect cake for a little girl (or a big girl!) on her birthday!
Have you considered the plastic bottle irrigation method? You poke tens of holes in water/soda bottles, bury them adjacent to your plants, then when you water, you fill the bottles. It gives a slow release bit of irrigation while you're suffering from fast drainage. If you cap the bottles it goes a bit longer.

Quote:
I have trick ankles and fall when I step on a pea-sized pebble if I don't see it and brace...I'd be flopping around in the yard if I had one of these.

I'll trade you those trees for the acres of poison ivy I have. I'd rather rake those sputniks up... plus the idea of throwing them while mowing is intriguing.

I managed to get the truck out, get a load of dirt, and get the truck lodged back near the original dirt drop off location around the side of the house which is a really narrow location... without having too many "there's no clutch" panic moments. BF will have to extricate his truck this evening. Just getting it there I almost hit the duck pool, the duck waterer, the duck enclosure, the goat enclosure, the house, the rocks in front of the house, the chicken tractor...

I'd pay to see that!!

Regarding the poison ivy, get a goat! They love to eat the stuff, and you can sometimes rent goats to go in and eat it. I'm not even kidding!

Chooks Chick I had the misfortune of planting a sapling Sycamore tree in 1973, I liked the big leaves. I got it at Kmart, nothing on it t said : it will be huge, it will throw abundant branches to the ground for no reason, it will have a huge branch spread that will try to get in your bedroom windows/ rub shingles off the roof.

Also it is the latest to put out leaves and the last to dump them - long after our free leaf pick-up ends. Then too, it produces big balls of seed. They were fun to throw at things because they poof and spread millions of seeds everywhere. So far I haven't seen signs of them sprouting BUT, when they poof seeds my throat gets tight and I have endless coughing. I don't bother seed balls anymore.

I would never have one again unless I had many acres and would locate it far from home., it does make good shade when it actually has leaves.

Yes, the guy across the street has three HUGE Sycamores...their yard doesn't benefit from any rain at all because the leaves are like trash can lids. The grass never thrives because it's like a desert, and the Space Bugs, as I will now call them, are just everywhere because the guy can't get his kids to rake worth a darn. I have learned to love them from afar. I shan't own any of my own.

Quote:
What SCG said!

I had three HUGE Sycamores and a Tulip Poplar in the backyard of the house I bought when I was single. I loved it but the large, solid blanket of leaves deposited on the lawn in the fall was annoying. It is true about the seed balls, they are hard until they are ready to disperse their seeds, then they break open into puff balls that explode into zilllions of tiny silky floating seeds that cover everything. Curiously, few of them sprout....... The wood is brittle and the limbs grow horizontally and very long and heavy. Still, the trunks and limbs are silvery grey with white patches where the bark peels away. The shade it makes is coop and dark and is a perfect place for a rope swing.

I once tried to grow a Tulip Poplar, but they don't really live through our brutal winters. It made it a couple of years and then gave up.

Hey there Master
welcome-byc.gif
and the old folks thread. Feel free to join in as you will. I'm sure Wisher will be happy you gave us your first post. Must say... interesting choice of a name...

I have to say I agree with the moderators, some young kids are on here - it is supposed to be family friendly.

Of course some of the young ones have put through very questionable user names. I even pm-ed one to ask her if she actually had any interest in chickens (not required) just to try her out. She admitted that she and her girlfriend had dared each other to post on BYC. I didn't report them but, they got their kicks(I guess) and left pretty quick.

Perhaps reversing the order of the names will still get your humor across while respecting the diverse population here on BYC?

I'm afraid you'll have ruffled everyone's feathers before you've said a word with it as it is now.

The coyote puppy is back. This time I got within 6' of it before it stopped trying to figure how to get into my brooder yard. I was shouting at it the whole time, and once the sound and proximity broke through its predation mode, it got this look on its face like, 'Awwww, man!!!' not one one of fear and bolt.

What the heck?? Dirty rat needs to get going to more rural location. Jerk.

Perhaps reversing the order of the names will still get your humor across while respecting the diverse population here on BYC?

I'm afraid you'll have ruffled everyone's feathers before you've said a word with it as it is now.

The coyote puppy is back. This time I got within 6' of it before it stopped trying to figure how to get into my brooder yard. I was shouting at it the whole time, and once the sound and proximity broke through its predation mode, it got this look on its face like, 'Awwww, man!!!' not one one of fear and bolt.

What the heck?? Dirty rat needs to get going to more rural location. Jerk.
sometimes we've found firecrackers are effective on the young yotes to get the message they aren't welcome (and if all else fails, so is a 22
wink.png
)

Chooks Chick one more thing re:sycamores.
The tree has been having smaller leaves every year, I do make sure it is well watered during droughts and nothing is competing with it. Is it dying??? I know it is planning to fall on the house- actually my bedroom. Is there any way to slow it's decline, or should I switch to a bedroom on the other side??

Back
Top Bottom