The Old Folks Home

Thanks Ron, me too! I'm still expecting to see losses but everyone is doing well right now, knock on wood, keep my fingers crossed while rubbing a rabbit's foot.....
I sold two Pita Pinta to a Friend several years ago. One of them died at about three years old and went in for necropsy. She did not have mareks. The Friend bought a new older hen in and she died last week from Mareks cancer. The remaining pita pinta is still mareks free.

This is good news because the Lab here told me about 5 years ago that my flock was infected with mareks and gave very dire advice. Mareks appears to be gone from here now..and I did not do anything about it

Ron that is great news about your flock. I'm hoping for that, plus, working with resistant birds and doing some cross breeding with resistant local birds.

I have 11 resistant BO and Welly hens left and two roosters. One a BO Welly cross that is close to 10 pounds and a smaller Welly rooster. Both the roosters have survived to be to and two and a half years old. My oldest to date. I'm still not planning to hatch any of the large bird eggs. Just don't want to take the risk.

Oh, I forgot to mention that a transformer blew, and everyone to the right of our driveway was without power. We heard the transformer explode. There must have been more damage, because it took the power company about 6 hours to get everyone's power restored.
A couple of months ago one of the transformers in the ground here was replaced. It took them over 10 hours and we were without power for that time

Back
Top Bottom