The Old Folks Home

High humidity can slow evaporation but does not stop it. Same thing in incubators. If there is too big of a hole in an hatching egg and the chick is stuck, even with high humidity it will be shrink wrapped eventually. Many will actually suffocate the chick by raising the humidity too high and closing the vents.

We can see this in places like florida when the humidity gets high with the temps high too and then is is hard to breath. High heat plus high humidity= less oxygen to breath
You are correct. It's like a steam bath. Very hard to breathe, especially if you get too active.

I don't usually like Birkenstocks. They don't usually fit me well, and tend to be ugly. I did find a pair of Aertrex sandals that were cute, and had the higher arch support built in. I liked them so much, I got a second pair. The second pair is in my closet. I can use them when these start looking scruffy, and I have to look nice, or when this pair finally bites the dust.

I don't usually like Birkenstocks. They don't usually fit me well, and tend to be ugly. I did find a pair of Aertrex sandals that were cute, and had the higher arch support built in. I liked them so much, I got a second pair. The second pair is in my closet. I can use them when these start looking scruffy, and I have to look nice, or when this pair finally bites the dust.
I would love to be able to wear sandals again! It has been 12 years now since I have to wear good shoes like all terrain shoes

Yesterday evening my cousin was in an accident.
he saw the truck wasn't stopping, but it was already too close, and nowhere for him to go to get out of the way
that must have been quite frightening; poor guy! I once had a car that had lost control spin into the side of my car on a motorway; really shook me up. Please give him my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

High humidity doesn't reduce the amount of oxygen in the air, it simply creates an environment where the water vapor is a larger component of the air. There is as much oxygen when it is humid as when it is arid.
I just read about this and it seems you are correct in as much as the amount of Oxygen that gets to the lungs. There were other reasons for hard breathing such as density of the air postulated.

It seems like a big problem for those with COPD.

Humidity does reduce Oxygen in the air for the reason you stated--It is a displacement of Oxygen in the air by water molecules and this does reduce oxygen. there have been studies that show this happening in incubators for sure and the lower oxygen along with a chick in a shell will suffocate them if the humidity is too high

Thanks Ron. I was about to mention that the water vapor molecules will displace the oxygen molecules, so it does reduce the volume of oxygen.
It is like a type of barometric presser change thing. It makes it similar to going up in elevation.

I wonder if it can chage cooking time?

The highest humidity we get here in the summer is about 25% when it is hot. We usually have a dry heat but I have been in heat and high humidity in Los Angeles. It was raining and over 100F. It was not pleasant but the Tiki room was very nicely air conditioned!

Back
Top Bottom