The Old Folks Home

How "big" is she?
And does she wash the spoons used to eat the brownies?
She's 4. Nobody washes dishes around here, but me.

Just before they moved in, I bough a new set of Oneida Stainless flatware, service for 8. That was plenty for me, and Dh. During the summer, they would visit a couple weeks, then go home a couple weeks. Because it was summer, and they spent a lot of their time in the pool, we mostly used paper plates, Solo cups, and plastic utensils. They learned to toss their plates, and utensils in the garbage, when they were done. When we'd eat on regular plates, using normal silverware, they would use their silverware to push any uneaten food off the plate, into the garbage, then put the plate and silverware in the sink. Um, the youngest didn't get the memo about putting the silverware in the sink. She would rake the food off her plate, and put her silverware in the garbage, then put her plate in the sink.

With 6 of us here, and at least 4 spoons were tossed in the garbage, before we realized what she was doing, I bought kid's silverware to fill the gap. It's been fine, until now.

My next project is a small duck pond for my lone duck. After I get done with that, I'll see about getting a couple sets of flatware, so I have enough, and it matches.

I have considered using this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/BECKETT-35-gal-Plastic-Pond-Liner-PP1035/202206168 for the duck pond, and this as a filtering system: https://www.amazon.com/Beckett-CGFK...nd+filter+and+pump+kit&qid=1596433417&sr=8-11

From the pictures, it looks like it will work out fine, but I do intend to check, and make sure it's big enough, without being too big. I will dig a hole, so it's just a couple inches above the ground, then put sod around it in the front, and maybe a few rocks in the back to make it look nice. The filter system should help keep it clean(er), but instead of pumping the water back into the pool, I can aim it outside the pool, to drain it as needed. That will make it a lot easier to take care of. I will get some duckweed, and some minnows to put in it. Ducks eat both. That should make Quacker-Sparkles happy.

Last edited:
She's 4. Nobody washes dishes around here, but me.

Just before they moved in, I bough a new set of Oneida Stainless flatware, service for 8. That was plenty for me, and Dh. During the summer, they would visit a couple weeks, then go home a couple weeks. Because it was summer, and they spent a lot of their time in the pool, we mostly used paper plates, Solo cups, and plastic utensils. They learned to toss their plates, and utensils in the garbage, when they were done. When we'd eat on regular plates, using normal silverware, they would use their silverware to push any uneaten food off the plate, into the garbage, then put the plate and silverware in the sink. Um, the youngest didn't get the memo about putting the silverware in the sink. She would rake the food off her plate, and put her silverware in the garbage, then put her plate in the sink.

With 6 of us here, and at least 4 spoons were tossed in the garbage, before we realized what she was doing, I bought kid's silverware to fill the gap. It's been fine, until now.
Children can be quite precocious at that age!

I'm watching a documentary type show about sinkholes. We have had them for years in Florida. Scientists suggest it's because of the heavy layer of limestone, which is a soft mineral, that depletes over time due to water, and it opens up sinkholes. From watching this, it seems it's not just a problem here, but all over the country, and even in other countries. It would seem that it's not just about having a having a heavy layer of limestone that depletes. Interesting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom