The Old Folks Home

I have two 3.5 week old chicks in my brooder right now who came from badly crushed eggs. Both were damaged badly on the pointy end 4 days from their hatch date. I had 5 eggs damaged when the lid flew off of my Brinsea while moving it for lock down. It had never failed before and I traced the problem to the manual turner I had installed and used for the first time.

Two eggs were doa, three still showed movement. I spackled them with candle wax and kept a real close watch on them. One chick expired the next day leaving the two that hatched with a bit of assistance as they were trying to peck through some of the candle wax, but the chicks are living proof that they can survive a damaged shell and hatch.
This is my first time incubating eggs. We had a power outtage for 12 hours last week due to Sally blowing past.. Then crushing an egg. I felt mostly like a big failure. But seeing that egg rock and roll tonight gives me hope.

I make my breakfast and lunch for work night before. Tomorrow kale and ham omelette and fried blue potatoes. Lunch collard greens and smoked turkey breast. Except for the butter and salt and pepper I added 100% ours.
Bag of cherry tomatoes also.
Still have tons of tomatoes and the little cherry one's if we don't eat them the turkeys will. Don't bother throwing anything to them that's 'strange' table scraps of any sort they'll just stomp it into the ground, chickens get all that.
Tomatoes though they'll fight over them and run around like velociraptors.

I can relate. I always said that I was a better broody than my hens are. When those eggs got broken I was in tears and told my husband I couldn't claim that any more. I was as big of a screw up as they are.

The truth is, accidents happen and that is why they call them accidents.

Plus I have three healthy happy chicks so all was not lost and my husband was able to figure out what was wrong with the manual turner and fix it so the lid will stay on from now on.

Had a mess here one gal brought her Mother they do not speak english here
so between grand daughter and I she want birds to make food for a wedding ..
have 3 cockerel nice size now 1 EE hen not laying but 4 eggs in her year old life
let them have the 4 for 40 said I would bring them down ... no one outside waiting
drove , drove nothing now one hope she will come come in the morning for them but also lost Smudge he got scared when went to protect one cockerel

Calling it a night guys. I love the idea of having a BYC buddy who knows how to get in touch with you outside of the forum if the need arises. I have already checked that off of my to do list plus, my DH would get on and let y'all know if I broke something important like an arm, leg or my head and was in the hospital.

Even if you aren't comfortable giving out a phone number, an email addy will work.

Say! I saw a patch of blue sky tonight! First time in a good week's time! Then the high haze moved back in....sigh.

It was so nice this morning when I went out to let the chooks into their runs that it almost felt like spring.

Mother nature can be a cold hearted witch.
We had some blue sky today too!
Likely back to smokey skies soon though

This is my first time incubating eggs. We had a power outtage for 12 hours last week due to Sally blowing past.. Then crushing an egg. I felt mostly like a big failure. But seeing that egg rock and roll tonight gives me hope.
12 hours at that part of incubation is not that big of a deal!

Whoo hoo, pleasant surprise tonight. A few days ago when candling eggs, I accidentally dropped one, nearly crushing the end where the air was. I was heartbroken, but thought.. well if the membrane is still in tact, it still might hatch. Last night I locked the incubator down for the final 3 days without rotation. I was using my little flashlight to peer inside the incubator when the egg with the damaged egg started moving. Baby inside is still alive and wiggling about!
They are tough!

Back
Top Bottom