The Old Folks Home

G'morning everyone. Still hazy here. I have another full checklist of things to get done today. I processed a huge butternut squash yesterday and two pie pumpkins. I figure we can enjoy a lot of pie and custards over the winter months. We wound up with our big wagon and small garden wagon full of these sugar pie pumpkins. It was the only thing that did truly well in our garden this year with squash and green beans running second and third.

Then there were the turnips...geeze I like turnips but there is a limit.

It seems that I was fighting voles and raccoons for everything else.

Y'all have a great day. Me? I'm off and running!

Such a nice time to go out on a stroll with the chickens before the noise and heat of the day. It gives one time to ponder on the intricasies of God's handiwork in the perfect placement of each feather. The shades and design... So many birds yet each is unique in its own!

Attachments

• IMG_20200924_100044.jpg
    IMG_20200924_100044.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200924_100424.jpg
    IMG_20200924_100424.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Such a nice time to go out on a stroll with the chickens before the noise and heat of the day. It gives one time to ponder on the intricasies of God's handiwork in the perfect placement of each feather. The shades and design... So many birds yet each is unique in its own!
I am truly amazed at the peacefulness when I'm out working around the big chicken pen. Roosters constantly clucking and talking to his ladies, while the ladies are bug hunting and remaining quiet. Then today, the miracle of birth! Woke up to an egg in the bator, shortly after #2 arrived. It's my son's birthday today, so Happy Birthday to him and the new ones.

Fall is in the air, so out in the garden to relocate iris and peonies before planting a wall of buddleia along the driveway. DH threw out his back, so I'm a force of one for the projects.

The veggie compound is winding down, but still waiting on the winter squashes. HUGE Dickson pumpkins, a ginormous Hopi blue squash, and rather large twisted Tahitian squash out in the withering corn rows, plus the more refined Delicata and Butternuts. We ate very fresh last night with a crispy spicy tofu (air-fry) topping a stir-fry of homegrown Chinese red noodle beans, bell peppers, summer squash slices, onions. Life is good!

I'm nearly 69 (funky number) and I can't tell you the times I've fallen on my keester this year. Did it again day before yesterday when backing out the lawnmower from under the shelter.. tripped over the Remington that I had pulled out to get to the lawnmower... Ploop! Earlier, the ladder and I both went sailing when I was putting together the canopy for the Jeep. Poor ladder, hope it didn't get hurt!

I'm nearly 69 (funky number) and I can't tell you the times I've fallen on my keester this year. Did it again day before yesterday when backing out the lawnmower from under the shelter.. tripped over the Remington that I had pulled out to get to the lawnmower... Ploop! Earlier, the ladder and I both went sailing when I was putting together the canopy for the Jeep. Poor ladder, hope it didn't get hurt!
If falling is an issue, I have read about some agility programs that might help. Maybe your Dr. or a Senior center could help find one.

If falling is an issue, I have read about some agility programs that might help. Maybe your Dr. or a Senior center could help find one.
Falling is not a problem, walking backwards and tripping over mowers, stumps, and not so well balanced ladders is the problem. Ha ha ha ha!
BTW... Fosamax is not the answer to every thinning bone issue. It occurs naturally as we age. Fosamax may fill in gaps, but it leaves the bones less flexible and more brittle. Dad took it for years, only to have gut issues he never had before, and then had two hip replacements because they essentially shattered, which left him with back problems that couldn't be sorted.

Back
Top Bottom