The Old Folks Home

I cleaned the kitchen, and laid around most of the day. My meds are tearing up my stomach again. I did take some probiotics, which helped with the part of the problem, then later had to take an anti-diarrhea pill. I wanted to go do some things, but didn't dare get too far from the bathroom. I hate when my stomach gets like this.
I have been known to have emergency stops in the woods. No fun.

micro, you guys have earned a rest. If you got some new lumber, could you fix the parts that are weak?

We discovered that the whole west wall was off the foundation before we even tore the north wall off. When it didn't collapse we started looking at it and DH decided that there was nothing to lose but to try to get the west wall back up on the foundation. He used the tractor to gently nudge it back up as much as he could, leaving just the south west corner off the concrete slab. The east and south walls are anchored, go figure.

In all honesty, in answer to your question, I don't know. It might be a challenge and a money pit that would make replacing it probably cheaper. We have no idea what the sheds original use was. It had paneling on the interior walls and was wired for electricity. There was evidence of plumbing and interestingly enough, we found an ancient bee hive in one wall.

Our friend gave us enough metal siding to completely reskin most of the interior and all of the exterior which helped solidify the framework a lot. It's withstood wind gusts over 50mph so far so we will probably just keep seeing how long we can keep the old girl upright and home for my chickens.

The birds love it, aren't fussy about it being 'unique' and I've never had a problem with frostbite in any of the roosters so we must be doing something right.

What we did today.....

View attachment 2349762

We called it a day at 4pm. The small rectangle will be a window on hinges with a hardware cloth screen behind it that I can open in the summer plus there will be two vents on either side of the window. The door will be on the far left. This poor old shed has been through so much. Every time we thing it's a gonner we slap another pile of metal on it and hope it will last a few more years. Next spring it will get a metal roof...if it survives the winter, lol. This is the shed that we tore the north wall off of in order to get a shower stall out of it. I have the movie of DH tearing off the front wall. He was letting his hair and beard grow out at the time and little kids kept calling him Santa so he cut it all off.
I call it his Duck Dynasty phase.

This was the early spring after we bought the property. You can see the shower stall in the pic and our old corral which turned out to be solid white oak boards that we had milled down into lumber to trim out doors and windows.

You can see the north wall of my original coop and the bachelor run is to the right. I am hoping this will be my bachelor coop over the winter months saving me having to be outside to feed and water, and in the summer I'll convert it to a broody room.

I wouldn't have been able to do this without my dear husband's help. :love Tomorrow we will get the window hung along with the door, finish the framing and hopefully get the metal on the wall before we get the rain they are calling for.

All I have to do is get the pop door installed, roosts up and it's good to go.
That will be very nice!

I cleaned the kitchen, and laid around most of the day. My meds are tearing up my stomach again. I did take some probiotics, which helped with the part of the problem, then later had to take an anti-diarrhea pill. I wanted to go do some things, but didn't dare get too far from the bathroom. I hate when my stomach gets like this.
I am sorry about the stomach issues!

I was building yesterday too - nothing like you micro, but I rarely build so it seems a weird coincidence that so many of us were wielding hammers on the same day! I was fixing an onduline roof on the top shed, which I noted had started to leak during the last wet spell here. The winds forecast for the week ahead will test whether or not I wielded the hammer well enough!

Today I truly feel like an OF. Yesterday I spent at the beagle club helping the dachshund people run a field trial. Heavy cover and stilt grass were rough on my legs. Went to get out of my recliner last night and both legs got cramps in the inner thigh muscles. Never have I had cramps so bad. The Princess said my face went gray. Quinine water helped stop the pain. Anyone else have suggestions for leg cramp prevention/cure?

Back
Top Bottom