The Old Folks Home

You've got a legacy coop!

Our pecans not quite ready yet. The neighbors and crows give me a heads-up when it's time as the birds try to open them at dawn on the skylights and the neighbors complain about it.

Do your hands get stained hulling? Tried that one year and looked like I had failed an auto mechanics course, but not for lack of trying.

- - -
I've got a project underway with replacing a row of old lilac bushes that line the driveway. No matter how much attentive pruning and watering, they just looked horrid and scraggly. I cursed them every time I walked outside. What will be replacing them are butterfly bushes (once a year maintenance) and Vitex (chaste), a nifty new patina stainless steel bed border, copious amounts of bark mulch and a line of solar lights. Should be spiffy once complete!

Anyway, a friend with a backhoe removed them and I've been relocating wayward iris to shadier spots so that I can transplant/relocate the peonies that were interspersed with the lilacs. Yesterday the peonies got dug up and divided. Lots of healthy eyes on the tubers, so hopefully they'll integrate well into their new and more hospitable surroundings.

Also took down a giant volunteer sunflower. It was close to 14-feet tall and like a Christmas tree in shape with multiple branches and hundreds of yellow flowers. Its trunk was 5.5" across and had to be sawed. One of the sunflower seeds from the nearby quail block, I gather. Our neighbor put up a 22-foot flagpole which garnered some attention (not all positive, either), but EVERYONE commented on the sunflower bush which was visible all the way up the country block. Next year there will be more sunflowers planted as they truly do brighten up the day.
:)
Your have been very busy!

Today is yard work and processing some more quail for me.

Our pecans not quite ready yet. The neighbors and crows give me a heads-up when it's time as the birds try to open them at dawn on the skylights and the neighbors complain about it.

Do your hands get stained hulling? Tried that one year and looked like I had failed an auto mechanics course, but not for lack of trying.
Seems in the deep south they do mature quicker for some reason. Lots of rain this summer helped I suppose. I fertilized twice and limed once, plus sulfur.

And yes, my poor liddle hands get stained, but I scrub them off pretty quickly after hulling the pecans with Dawn... helps a lot. Would love to make some pecan stain from the hulls.. maybe..I don't know. Lot of boiling to do if I decide to.

I need to get off my tookus and start replacing boards on the front deck, and divide the big run into to proper halves. But, it was just another day I felt like doing nothing, so watched movies in bed. The longer I sit the tireder I get!

There are days you just need to say hey need a break
and take a day off
Let's just say I'm on vacation. I haven't had one in I don't know how many years, since it's just me and the Gator here, and we are now both on chicken duty. Here he is in the brooder room, guarding babies. He seems to like being in there where he can hear peeping and cheeping.. Sometimes he looks in on them, and some times he's just lays in the doorway.. Like he KNOWS!
20200926_123734.jpg

He also waits patiently outside the coops while momma's feeding the bigger kids. Funny how the big boys react to him.

Our hound(we think Walker) and border collie mixed boy does the same thing. All I have to do is tell him to come on and help me take care of his chickie birds and he beats me out to the coop. He never goes in but he will lay out in the grass in front of the building and stand guard. If one of the birds gets loose all I have to tell him is a firm BUCK NO! and he won't even look at it, but he will occasionally glance at it just to see if it is still loose.

Yesterday he went up to the brooder. It was funny because Jude, the little cockerel came up to the door and was giving him that one eyed stick eye that they can pull off with the two little pullets behind him. Pretty impressive behavior for 4 weeks of age. Already willing to protect the girls. Buck wouldn't even look at him but I could see his eyes twitch in their direction every now and then.

We don't have almonds here. pecans are the big thing along with black walnuts and Hickory.

Me? I'm allergic to tree nuts so while we have the black walnuts and the Hickories, they stay in the timber and away from temptation.

Back
Top Bottom