The Old Folks Home

Drags in with droopy eyes and yawning... Morning Ya'll. Was up half the night with the two cinnabuns.. they didn't fare well from the trip from hatchery and TSC. I think they were a tad stressed.. however. I kept up the eyedropper and sugar water routine ever few hours and they are up an at 'em this morning. Even found the water trough and feed bucket. I have hope for them yet! BTW.. I named them Cinnabun and Hootie (not that Hootie is a female name, but she looks like a hoot owl from straight on).
Do you have some rooster booster to give them?

Morning all.

About to hit the road. Feed, gas for chain saw, lp tanks, then home to clean a coop and spread the fertilizer on the garden space.

Y'all have a great Friday!
Snow is gone?? I thought you had more then we did! My garden is still under snow. Most of the yard is still under snow- except where I shoveled for the chickens. Beautiful sunny today but wind chill brings it down to the teens.Still... The sun gives spring fever!

Its Don't you compost first?
Yep. This litter has been in the unused coop for 6 months. It's good to go.

I really haven't noticed any problem with either composted or non composted litter. I don't clean the coops all that often. Usually 3 times a year, more if it is needed. We either put it in the garden before it is plowed, or spread it on the pasture. Where we spread, the grass is always two or three shades darker than the part that isn't fertilized with the debris fresh from the coops.

We usually spread the fall coop offerings on the garden and plow it for the winter so it composts there. What I clean out now from the unused coop with go on the garden to be plowed in for spring planting. The rest will go on the pasture before the grasses start to sprout.

Just got home. Got everything on my list except bedding chips. All out. :( So I'll be able to get the unused coop cleaned out but the others are on hold until they get the next shipment in.

Blind rooster turned mean is still pecking and attacking. Mean blind rooster going to freezer camp this afternoon. My first butchering challenge. Wish me luck.

Snow is gone?? I thought you had more then we did! My garden is still under snow. Most of the yard is still under snow- except where I shoveled for the chickens. Beautiful sunny today but wind chill brings it down to the teens.Still... The sun gives spring fever!
Our snow is completely gone, the road is dried out as is the pasture. I saw one little patch of snow next to some woods when I went to town. We have just a bit of ice left on the north side of our house and that is it.

Yeah, we had something like 9 inches on the deck and drifts over a foot high in places. I walked out on the deck last night in shirt sleeves and stocking feet and had to shake my head and smile. Same time last month we couldn't get the deck door open due to the snow and we were going out in layers whenever we had to load up firewood or tend to the chickens.

Highs here have been in the 50-60 mark. Today it's chilly and the wind has a bit of a bite to it but they say close to 65 on Sunday and thunderstorms next week.

We always are amazed how different the weather is here than it was in IL. You wouldn't think 150 miles would make such a big difference but it does.

Our snow is completely gone, the road is dried out as is the pasture. I saw one little patch of snow next to some woods when I went to town. We have just a bit of ice left on the north side of our house and that is it.

Yeah, we had something like 9 inches on the deck and drifts over a foot high in places. I walked out on the deck last night in shirt sleeves and stocking feet and had to shake my head and smile. Same time last month we couldn't get the deck door open due to the snow and we were going out in layers whenever we had to load up firewood or tend to the chickens.

Highs here have been in the 50-60 mark. Today it's chilly and the wind has a bit of a bite to it but they say close to 65 on Sunday and thunderstorms next week.

We always are amazed how different the weather is here than it was in IL. You wouldn't think 150 miles would make such a big difference but it does.
Here in California, you get completely different weather from one side of the State to the other. The coast is completely different from the Sierra.

M6 grandmother never composted the chicken coop bedding...

Her bedding was a hay base.

She would have me put the super filthy hay on the paths between her garden rows. The hay was kept 2 to 4 inches from plant stems.

Me.... I just rake out the greenhouse come spring... water thoroughly twice...

Then I plant started plants directly into the super chicken poo soil. The key is having starts... so the new plant is planted in clean soil, surrounded by the poo soil. If I use tiny pots for the plants, then I add a bit of clean soil around the start... you need about 3 inches diameter circle of clean soil.

At times if I skimp... like 2 inch diameter circle or smaller, I can get a little leaf burn... but not much.. and the plant has a bit of a slower start... but then grows like crazy.

Yep. This litter has been in the unused coop for 6 months. It's good to go.

I really haven't noticed any problem with either composted or non composted litter. I don't clean the coops all that often. Usually 3 times a year, more if it is needed. We either put it in the garden before it is plowed, or spread it on the pasture. Where we spread, the grass is always two or three shades darker than the part that isn't fertilized with the debris fresh from the coops.

We usually spread the fall coop offerings on the garden and plow it for the winter so it composts there. What I clean out now from the unused coop with go on the garden to be plowed in for spring planting. The rest will go on the pasture before the grasses start to sprout.

Just got home. Got everything on my list except bedding chips. All out. :( So I'll be able to get the unused coop cleaned out but the others are on hold until they get the next shipment in.

Blind rooster turned mean is still pecking and attacking. Mean blind rooster going to freezer camp this afternoon. My first butchering challenge. Wish me luck.
Good luck. At least he can't see you sneaking up on him!

Morning or afternoon where ever your are.
slow start this morning .. We have super poo pile under tarp turned about weekly nothing but chicken.
There is house plus light poo.. Often when I clean the small coop goes in the house crap .. I plant from the straight rich black soil of the poo. :frow

I hate to say this but please keep the snow up there from now on.
Well apparently Mr. NOAA screwed up again, not that I'm complaining. Instead of snow all night and through most of the day, we have had NO snow at all. I did have to shovel a bunch of wind blown snow out of the entrance to the parking area though. Couldn't even see where DW and DD2 came through last night.

Back
Top Bottom